Where Does Maximum Occur in y = y(t) Equation?

• Thread starter fmdk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, given a simple equation y = y (t), the function has an asymptote at y=y'(t), and y(t) is not differentiable at its maximum.
fmdk
Given a simple equation y = y (t), where does maximum occur.

I am thinking that this is an asymptote?

is this a correct assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
fmdk said:

Without knowing the formula for your function, it is impossible to know where a maximum occurs or whether the function has an asymptote of any kind.

This was the only information that i was provided with on the question sheet.

Was there a graph included with the problem?
In general, a maximum or minimum can occur at any of three places:
1) a point where the derivative is zero.
2) a point in the domain of the function at which the derivative is undefined.
3) an endpoint of the domain of the function.

actually this was all the information that was giving for this particular question.

fmdk said:

Well, firstly, what dictates a maximum? We know that for it to be a maximum, the slope at that point must be zero, so y'(t)=0. And furthermore, we know that the second derivative of y must be negative, so y''(t)<0. So the maximum is every point satisfying those two conditions.

EDIT: Note that I am assuming that y(t) is continuous over the whole real line.

Char. Limit said:
Well, firstly, what dictates a maximum? We know that for it to be a maximum, the slope at that point must be zero, so y'(t)=0.

y = -|x| isn't differentiable at its maximum.

Edit: I see Mark basically mentioned this in 2) in his last post.

Bohrok said:
y = -|x| isn't differentiable at its maximum.

Ah, touche. Let me revise my earlier statement to say that we assume y(t) AND y'(t) are continuous over the whole real line.

What is the meaning of "maximum" in the equation y = y(t)?

In the equation y = y(t), "maximum" refers to the highest value that y can reach. This value is often denoted as y(max) or ymax and is determined by the value of t that produces the largest output for y.

How do I find the maximum value in the y = y(t) equation?

To find the maximum value in the equation y = y(t), you can take the derivative of y with respect to t and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for t to find the value of t that produces the maximum value for y. Plug this value back into the original equation to find the corresponding maximum value for y.

Can there be more than one maximum value in the y = y(t) equation?

Yes, it is possible for there to be multiple maximum values in the equation y = y(t). This can occur if there are multiple values of t that produce the same maximum value for y. In this case, the equation would have multiple solutions for t when the derivative is set equal to 0.

What happens if there is no maximum value in the y = y(t) equation?

If there is no maximum value in the equation y = y(t), then the output for y will continue to increase without ever reaching a maximum value. This can happen if the equation represents a linear or exponential function with a positive slope, or if the equation has no real solutions for t when the derivative is set equal to 0.

Is the maximum value in the y = y(t) equation always the highest point on the graph?

No, the maximum value in the equation y = y(t) does not always correspond to the highest point on the graph. It is possible for the graph to have multiple peaks or for the maximum value to occur at a point where the graph is not at its highest point. This is dependent on the shape and behavior of the graph for the given equation.