Symmetry Groups Algebras Commutators Conserved Quantities

In summary, the conversation discusses the interrelationship between symmetry, groups, algebras, commutators, and conserved quantities. There is a connection between finite groups and algebras, but the specific objects involved and their actions are not clear. Conserved quantities exist for every symmetry, but only for continuous symmetries of the Action integral. It is unclear if there are conserved quantities for finite symmetries. The relationship between algebras and commutation relations is uncertain, with some suggesting that commutation relations define the algebra. The conversation also considers the possibility of moving the discussion to the Quantum Physics Forum.
friend
Symmetry, Groups, Algebras, Commutators, Conserved Quantities

OK, maybe this is asking too much, hopefully not.

I'm trying to understand the connection between all of these constructions. I wonder if a summary about these interrelationship can be given.

If I understand what I'm reading, there is a connection between finite groups and algebras, though I think I'm confused between what objects are involved in each and what each acts upon if anything. And I understand that there is a conserved quantity for every symmetry, but this is only for symmetries of Action integral, right? What I'm not sure about, though, is whether there is a connection between algebras and commutation relations. Any insight you could give in these areas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

friend said:
OK, maybe this is asking too much, hopefully not.

I'm trying to understand the connection between all of these constructions. I wonder if a summary about these interrelationship can be given.

If I understand what I'm reading, there is a connection between finite groups and algebras, though I think I'm confused between what objects are involved in each and what each acts upon if anything. And I understand that there is a conserved quantity for every symmetry, but this is only for symmetries of Action integral, right? What I'm not sure about, though, is whether there is a connection between algebras and commutation relations. Any insight you could give in these areas would be appreciated. Thanks.

For example, as I understand it, conserved quantities only apply to continuous symmetries of the Action integral. Or are there conserved quantities for finite symmetries as well?

I thought I heard people say that the commutation relations define the algebra, is this right?

Moderator: Do you think this thread should be moved to Quantum Physics Forum? That is what is motivating these questions.

1. What are symmetry groups in physics?

Symmetry groups in physics are mathematical descriptions of the symmetries present in a physical system. These symmetries can include rotations, translations, reflections, and other transformations that leave the system unchanged. They are important in understanding the behavior and properties of physical systems.

2. What is the significance of algebras in symmetry groups?

Algebras play a crucial role in the study of symmetry groups because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding the relationships between different symmetries. In particular, Lie algebras are often used to describe the symmetries present in physical systems.

3. How do commutators relate to symmetry groups?

Commutators are mathematical operators that are used to describe the non-commutative properties of a system. In the context of symmetry groups, commutators are important because they can be used to determine the relationships between different symmetries and how they interact with each other.

4. What are conserved quantities in physics?

Conserved quantities in physics are physical properties that remain constant over time, even as a system undergoes various transformations and interactions. These quantities are important because they can provide insights into the underlying symmetries and laws of a physical system.

5. How are symmetry groups and conserved quantities related?

Symmetry groups and conserved quantities are closely related in physics. In fact, Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there is a corresponding conserved quantity. This relationship allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and behaviors of physical systems.