Simulating Gantry Crane in ANSYS: A Student's Query

In summary, the conversation is about a student's assignment to simulate a gantry crane in ANSYS. The student is struggling with creating a rigid structure using line bodies with different cross-sections, as the simulation keeps failing due to the elements not being connected. They have researched methods to manually join the elements but have been unsuccessful. The question posed is if there is a standard way to generate a rigid structure from multiple line bodies and fuse them into a single mass. Another person suggests looking into a possible contact problem.
Zablorg
Hi all,

This might be considered a coursework question, insofar as I'm doing it as a student and not a professional, but it's less to do with homework type questions and more to do with software fiddling, so I thought I'd post it here. I apologize if it's not the right forum.

I've been given an assignment to simulate a gantry crane in ANSYS. The geometry is to be constructed by assigning appropriate cross-sections to line bodies, which act as the crane elements. As these elements require different cross-sections, I've needed to use "Add frozen" when generating them so that they don't merge into a single body of uniform cross-section.

Here's the complication; when I try to simulate this in Mechanical after applying constraints and forces, it fails, citing "small equation pivot solver terms". From some research I understand this to mean that the whole thing is under-constrained. And when I simulate the structure as a single line body (with only one cross-section, unfortunately), it works just fine, so the impression I get is that the individual elements I've created aren't connected to each other in any meaningful way.

I have of course looked into methods to manually join the appropriate elements, but none of my many attempts have been successful, and I have little understanding of which of the apparently numerous methods would be appropriate to use.

So my question is ultimately; Is there a standard way to generate a rigid structure out of several independent line bodies? To fuse touching structures into a single mass?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi,
I just started using Ansys so I might just try and throw something out there.
Do you think it could be a contact problem? I suggest you look into that

1. How do I create a Gantry Crane model in ANSYS?

To create a Gantry Crane model in ANSYS, you will need to use the ANSYS Mechanical APDL interface. This allows you to input commands and parameters to define the geometry, materials, and loading conditions of your model. You can also use the pre-processing tools in ANSYS to create your model visually.

2. What type of analysis can I perform on my Gantry Crane model in ANSYS?

ANSYS offers a wide range of analysis options for Gantry Crane models, including static structural analysis, modal analysis, and transient dynamic analysis. The type of analysis you choose will depend on the specific behavior of your crane that you are interested in studying.

3. How do I apply boundary conditions and loads to my Gantry Crane model in ANSYS?

You can apply boundary conditions and loads to your Gantry Crane model by using the APDL commands or by using the graphical interface in ANSYS. You will need to specify the appropriate constraints and loads based on your specific model and analysis type.

4. Can I simulate the movements of the Gantry Crane in ANSYS?

Yes, ANSYS allows for the simulation of movements in Gantry Crane models. This can be done through transient dynamic analysis, which takes into account the time-dependent behavior of the crane. You can also simulate the movements of the crane by applying different loading conditions and observing the resulting displacements and stresses.

5. Are there any tutorials or resources available for simulating Gantry Crane in ANSYS?

Yes, there are many online tutorials and resources available for simulating Gantry Crane in ANSYS. You can find step-by-step guides, video tutorials, and forums where you can ask questions and get help. Additionally, ANSYS provides documentation and user guides for their software, which can be a helpful resource for beginners.