Estimating the order of magnitude of a ratio of two cross sections

In summary, the conversation discusses how to make a simple estimate of the order of magnitude of the ratio of the cross sections for electron-positron to two photons and electron-positron to three photons. The cross section is proportional to (1/q^4)*(Phase space factor)*(Coupling constant), and the difference in phase space factors is negligible and cancels out in the ratio. The coupling constant can be found as g^(number of vertices), but there is uncertainty about finding the value of q^2 with the given information. The probability of two photons being produced is 99.7%, while the probability of three photons is 0.3%, making the ratio approximately 300:1. The conversation also mentions the importance of
Chrispy92
The question is "Make a simple estimate of the order of magnitude of the ratio of the cross sections (electron,positron->2photons) and (electron,positron->3photons)"

Now I know that cross section is proportional to (1/q^4)*(Phase space factor)*(Coupling constant) where q^2 = E^2 - p^2. We are also told that the difference in phase space factors are negligible so will be canceled in the ratio.

I think I can find coupling constant as g^(number of vertices).

My question is; can you actually find the q^2 with the information I've been given? If not am I meant to assume that it's the same for both, but then the ratio would just equal g which makes no sense. Any help would be really appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Cheers for the reply but that's not really what I was asking. I'm really just looking for HOW an estimate can be made with the information I've been given. It might be too specific a question but I might as well try.

The cross section depends on the square of the amplitude. This is why the fine-structure constant, rather than just e turns up in observables.

I need to know the answer to this exact question too.
It would be really useful if someone could explain how to do it.

1. What is the purpose of estimating the order of magnitude of a ratio of two cross sections?

The purpose is to get a general understanding of the magnitude of the ratio and to determine if it is within a reasonable range for further analysis.

2. How is the order of magnitude of a ratio of two cross sections calculated?

The order of magnitude is determined by taking the base 10 logarithm of the ratio and rounding to the nearest integer.

3. Why is the logarithmic scale used for estimating the order of magnitude?

The logarithmic scale is used because it allows for a more concise representation of large numbers and is better suited for representing ratios.

4. What factors should be considered when estimating the order of magnitude of a ratio of two cross sections?

The size of the cross sections, the units used, and the precision of the measurements are important factors to consider when estimating the order of magnitude.

5. How accurate is the estimation of the order of magnitude of a ratio of two cross sections?

The estimation is not meant to be highly accurate but rather provide a rough estimate of the magnitude of the ratio. It should be used as a starting point for further analysis and not as a final result.