Calculate Vibration Amplitude, Frequency Range for Derrick Drilling

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a vibration analysis of a 240-foot high steel drilling Derrick mounted on a ship. Calculations have been done on the reaction forces in various modes of operation and the person is looking to calculate the expected vibration amplitude, frequency range, and acceleration. They are also seeking clarification on whether a measurement or calculation is desired and if the focus is on acceleration amplitude.
yakin28
I have a steel drilling Derrick 240 feet high mounted central to a ship, this is used for drilling for oil. Calculations have been done on the Derrick in regards to reaction forces in different modes of operation(drilling, transit etc). I need to do a vibration analysis of different points on this structure with the figures to hand.
I am in the believe that high amplitude >3mm @ 0-50 Hz frequency is expected of this type of structure in operating conditions.
How do I calculate the vibration amplitude, frequency range and expected acceleration?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Yakin,
How do I calculate the vibration amplitude, frequency range and expected acceleration?

means the acceleration amplitude? do you want a measurement or calculation driven from model.

if you know the : accelartion you can retrieve the velocity and than the dis-placement
question

please detail more wht u want to achieve

1. What is the purpose of calculating vibration amplitude and frequency range for Derrick Drilling?

The purpose of calculating vibration amplitude and frequency range for Derrick Drilling is to ensure that the drilling process does not cause excessive vibrations that can potentially damage equipment, structures, and the environment. It also helps in optimizing the drilling process and improving efficiency.

2. How is vibration amplitude calculated for Derrick Drilling?

Vibration amplitude for Derrick Drilling is calculated by measuring the maximum displacement of the drilling equipment from its resting position during the drilling process. This measurement is usually taken in millimeters or inches and is used to determine the level of vibration intensity.

3. What is the frequency range for Derrick Drilling?

The frequency range for Derrick Drilling can vary depending on factors such as the type of drilling equipment, drilling technique, and geological conditions. However, it is typically between 5 to 50 Hertz (Hz). It is important to monitor the frequency range to ensure it stays within safe limits.

4. How does the vibration amplitude and frequency range affect the drilling process?

Excessive vibration amplitude and frequency range can cause damage to the drilling equipment, slow down the drilling process, and increase the risk of accidents. It can also affect the quality of the drilling results and cause disruptions to nearby structures and the environment.

5. What measures can be taken to control vibration amplitude and frequency range during Derrick Drilling?

To control vibration amplitude and frequency range during Derrick Drilling, it is important to properly maintain and calibrate the drilling equipment, use appropriate drilling techniques, and regularly monitor the drilling process. If necessary, additional measures such as installing vibration dampening systems or adjusting drilling parameters can also be implemented.