How many degrees does an hour hand move in one hour?

In summary, the question is how many degrees the hour hand moves in one hour if it moves 1/60th of a degree each minute. After some discussion, it is determined that the hour hand actually moves 1 degree in an hour, not 1/60th of a degree. Some confusion arises when it is questioned how the hour hand can then move 360 degrees in 12 hours, but it is clarified that this is due to one complete revolution. The original question is considered a trick question and the group agrees that the correct answer is 1 degree.
ballpienhammer
If an hour hand moves 1/60th of a degree each minute how many degerees will it move in one hour?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is that a question for YOU or for US?If it's for you,then tell us your opinion so that we can compare it with ours...

Daniel.

It moves 1/60 a degree in a minute.

You want to find out how far it moves in an hour.

How many minutes in an hour?

If it moves 1/60 degree x 60 minutes= 1 degree in an hour, then how can it move 360 degrees in 12 hours?

Precisely.

Then how many degrees does the hour hand really move in one hour?
I say 30.

ballpienhammer: Then how many degrees does the hour hand really move in one hour?
I say 30.

Sure, because we just multiply 30 x12 =360, one complete revolution.

So, the hour hand moves 1/2 degree in an hour, not 1/60th.

Sounds like it was a trick question designed to get you chasing red herrings.

Not intentionally. The Q was/is part of an online

fun-quiz called "Test for Dementia". Their answer was 1&#176, which I felt was off base.(No pun intended.) Thanks all. bph

1. What are clock degrees?

Clock degrees are a unit of measurement used to describe the position of the hour hand on a clock face. Each hour on a clock face represents 30 degrees, and each minute represents half a degree.

2. How do you calculate clock degrees?

To calculate clock degrees, you can use the formula: Degrees = (hours * 30) + (minutes * 0.5). For example, if the time is 5:30, the calculation would be (5 * 30) + (30 * 0.5) = 165 degrees.

3. What is the purpose of clock degrees?

Clock degrees are used to better understand and visualize the passage of time. They can also be used in various mathematical calculations and conversions.

4. Can clock degrees be negative?

No, clock degrees cannot be negative as they represent a position on a circle and cannot go below 0 degrees.

5. How can I use clock degrees in everyday life?

Clock degrees can be used to estimate the time by looking at the position of the hour hand on a clock face. They can also be used in time management and scheduling, as well as in certain professions such as astronomy and navigation.