Finding the total power delivered

• Thread starter NoOne0507
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a constant voltage and a current function are given, and the task is to find the total power delivered over a given time interval. There is confusion about the setup of the integral and the units involved, with some suggesting to use ∫dP and others suggesting to use ∫P(t)dt. However, it is ultimately determined that the question likely intended to ask for the total energy delivered over the given time interval instead of the total power.
NoOne0507
I'm really only concerned with the setup so I'm just going to ask it in a general sense, rather than the specific problem.

Homework Statement

Suppose you have a constant voltage and the current is described by i(t). Find the total power delivered between time A and time B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got in a discussion with my classmates, and we couldn't settle which way is correct. So P(t) = V*i(t). Would it be set up as ∫ dP from A to B, or ∫ P(t) dt from A to B?

The first is summing small bits of power and will return a unit in Watts. The second sums energy and returns a unit in Joules. So which setup is right, and would the total power delivered end up being power, or energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with any definition of "total power delivered". Average power, sure, but not total power. Power is a rate of energy production or consumption with the units of watts or Joules per second.

The question would make more sense if it asked for total energy delivered over the given interval, or even average power delivered over that time.

When you set up a definite integral, the endpoints must have the same units as the differential elements being summed. So ∫dP would require end limits that are given in units of watts, not time.

So, I guess I'm saying that I'm not sure what to suggest given that the problem in its stated form doesn't make sense to me :smile: Is there another statement of the problem, perhaps in a context that would make it clearer?

Well this is the full question:

The voltage v is a constant 10 volts and the current i is described by the following function:

i(t) = (5t^2+20+6)/(t^3+2t^2+t) Amps

What is the total power delivered between t=1s and t=5s?
I figured since P is a function of time it would work since ∫ dP = ∫ P'(t) dt. And that would allow units in time. Or you could do it ∫ dP from P(A) to P(B), that would be the same.
It was also the phrase "total power delivered" that threw everyone else in my class off.

Last edited:
Differentiating the function just to integrate it again doesn't strike me as being a particularly useful exercise.

I suspect that it was intended that the question ask you find the total energy delivered over the time interval rather than the total power, but was hit by a typo on the way to school :smile:

That makes sense. It struck me as odd that that was the way to solve it, but it was asking for power, and I couldn't figure out any other way to get a unit of power. Thanks.

What is meant by "finding the total power delivered"?

Finding the total power delivered refers to calculating the amount of energy that is transferred or delivered in a given system or process. This can be measured in watts (W) or joules (J) depending on the context.

How is total power delivered calculated?

Total power delivered can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I), or by summing the power of each individual component in a circuit or system. The formula for power is P = VI.

What are some examples of systems where finding total power delivered is important?

Finding the total power delivered is important in various systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and thermodynamic processes. It is also relevant in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines.

What are the units used for measuring total power delivered?

Total power delivered is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW), with larger systems often measured in megawatts (MW). In some cases, joules (J) may also be used to measure total power delivered.

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating total power delivered?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating total power delivered. These include variations in voltage and current, losses in the system due to resistance, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to consider these factors and make appropriate adjustments to ensure accurate calculations.