Statics Forces Problem (Trusses)

In summary, the forces at reaction supports B and C are 5 kN in the y direction and the external loading has a total force of 15 kN. However, when taking the moment at A and considering the sum of forces in the y direction, it is determined that the reaction forces at B and C should be 5 kN each. This is because the truss structure distributes the external force evenly between the two supports. The reaction force at A is also taken into account in the calculations.
darthxepher

Homework Statement

I was doing a problem with my friend (the image that is attached to this) and when looking up a solution online... It said that the forces at reaction supports B and C are 5 kN in the y direction...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We thought that since these members are trusses, all the force from the external loading... is 15 (10 + 5) and that the reaction supports in the y direction at B and C should be 7.5. Where did we go wrong?

Thank you! :)

Attachments

• IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
darthxepher said:

Homework Statement

I was doing a problem with my friend (the image that is attached to this) and when looking up a solution online... It said that the forces at reaction supports B and C are 5 kN in the y direction...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We thought that since these members are trusses, all the force from the external loading... is 15 (10 + 5) and that the reaction supports in the y direction at B and C should be 7.5. Where did we go wrong?

Thank you! :)

What is the reaction force at A ?

If it is a truss... Do we still account for the reaction force at support A in the y direction?

If this was the case and I took the moment at A I would get :

-1*(10) + -2*(5) + (2-0.707)*By + (2+0.707)Cy = 0
=> 1.293*By + 2.707*Cy = 20

And for the sum in the y direction of the system:

Ay + By + Cy = 15

(Assumption) Since Cy = By:

By = 5
Cy = 5
Ay = 5
... Ok... I just solved it... :P

Thanks Dude. :D

1. What is a truss and how does it relate to static forces?

A truss is a structural system composed of interconnected members that are subjected to external forces. These forces create internal stresses within the members, which can be analyzed using the principles of statics.

2. How do you determine the forces acting on each member of a truss?

To determine the forces acting on each member of a truss, you must first draw a free-body diagram showing all external forces acting on the truss. Then, using the equations of static equilibrium, you can solve for the internal forces in each member.

3. How do you analyze a truss with more than three support points?

The analysis of a truss with more than three support points can be done using the method of sections. This involves taking a section of the truss and analyzing the forces acting on that section, then moving along the truss and repeating the process until all the internal forces are determined.

4. What is the difference between a determinate and indeterminate truss?

A determinate truss is one where all the internal forces can be determined using the equations of static equilibrium. An indeterminate truss is one where there are more unknown forces than equations, and additional methods such as the method of consistent deformations must be used to solve for the internal forces.

5. How do you account for the weight of the truss itself in the analysis?

The weight of the truss can be accounted for by treating it as an additional external force acting on the truss. This force can then be included in the free-body diagram and used in the equations of static equilibrium to determine the internal forces in the truss members.