Potential Energy in a vertical spring mass system

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of calculating the maximum length of a spring during motion of a hanging mass. It is noted that measuring the stretch of the spring from the equilibrium position of the mass on the spring compensates for leaving out gravitational potential energy. The conversation also mentions that some sources online may be incorrect in their method of calculating the potential energy of the spring.
karokr94

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.5 kg hangs motionless from a vertical spring whose length is 0.90 m and whose unstretched length is 0.45 m. Next the mass is pulled down to where the spring has a length of 1.15 m and given an initial speed upwards of 1.4 m/s. What is the maximum length of the spring during the motion that follows?

Homework Equations

L=length of unstretched spring; (0.45m)

d=length of spring in equilibrium; (0.9m)

x=stretch=(d-L); (0.45m)

mg=kx ---> k=mg/x; (10.89N/m)

Equilibrium position = y = (L+x); (0.9m)

Usi+Ki=Usf
1/2k(1.15-y)^2+1/2mv^2=1/2k(max stretch)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did at first was measure the stretch from the equilibrium position (0.25m) to get Usi and I solved for (max stretch) and added the (max stretch) to the length of the spring in equilibrium. I found some sources online, however, that say I should measure the stretch from the unstretched length? How does that even make sense? I would look up the answer in an answer key but I don't have one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome

Your method will work. But note that you are not including changes in gravitational potential energy as the mass moves up and down! :eek: Why then does your method work? Turns out that measuring the stretch of the spring form the equilibrium position of the mass on the spring (rather than from the unstretched position of the spring) when calculating the spring's PE exactly compensates for leaving out the gravitational PE! It's a good exercise to show that.

If you measure the stretch from the unstretched position when calculating the PE of the spring, then you should also include the gravitational PE in your calculations.

TSny said:
Hello and welcome

Your method will work. But note that you are not including changes in gravitational potential energy as the mass moves up and down! :eek: Why then does your method work? Turns out that measuring the stretch of the spring form the equilibrium position of the mass on the spring (rather than from the unstretched position of the spring) when calculating the spring's PE exactly compensates for leaving out the gravitational PE! It's a good exercise to show that.

If you measure the stretch from the unstretched position when calculating the PE of the spring, then you should also include the gravitational PE in your calculations.

That's what I thought but everything I could find online has me calculating the PE from the unstretched position without taking into account gravitational potential energy. I guess all the sources I found were wrong then! Kudos

1. What is potential energy in a vertical spring mass system?

Potential energy in a vertical spring mass system refers to the energy that is stored in the spring due to its position or configuration. It is a type of elastic potential energy that is compressed or stretched in the vertical direction.

2. How is potential energy calculated in a vertical spring mass system?

The potential energy in a vertical spring mass system can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This formula assumes that the gravitational potential energy is negligible.

3. What factors affect the potential energy in a vertical spring mass system?

The potential energy in a vertical spring mass system is affected by the spring constant, the displacement from the equilibrium position, and the mass of the object attached to the spring. The higher the spring constant and the greater the displacement, the more potential energy is stored in the system.

4. How does potential energy change in a vertical spring mass system?

As the spring is compressed or stretched, potential energy is stored in the system. When the spring is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the mass moves up or down. As the mass reaches the equilibrium position, all potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and then back to potential energy as the mass moves in the opposite direction.

5. How can potential energy in a vertical spring mass system be used?

Potential energy in a vertical spring mass system can be used to power devices such as clocks, toys, and mechanical devices. It can also be converted into electrical energy through the use of a generator attached to the spring. Additionally, potential energy in a vertical spring mass system is an important concept in understanding the behavior of springs in engineering and physics.