Exponential fourier series expansion

In summary, the conversation is about a question the speaker is stuck on and their attempt at solving it. They are seeking help and have attached a file showing their work. They mention that their lecturer got a different answer and did not take into account a certain factor. They ask for assistance and thank the listener for their time.
Mitchy190
Hey, thanks for taking the time to look ay my post (:

I have attached a file which shows the question I am stuck on, and my attempt at working it out.

My problem is the answer I get, is different to what my Lecturer gets (shown in the attachment). He worked it out a different way to me, he did not take into account that you can simply the equation Cn as x(t) is an odd function (This is all shown in the attachment).

This is where I would like some help, could some kind chappy please have a look at my work and maybe point me in the right direction if I have gone astray, or even tell my why the answer I have got occurs if it is correct?

Thank you very much, MitchThe question and attempt at solution:

View attachment Fourier.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your and his answers are the same!
-j = 1/j

Now I feel stupid haha!

Thanks though (:

Mitchy190 said:
Now I feel stupid haha!

(:
Don't! :smile:

Hello Mitch,

Exponential Fourier series expansion is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of exponential terms. It is commonly used in signal processing and engineering applications.

In regards to your question, it is difficult for me to provide specific help without seeing the attached file. However, it is important to note that there can be multiple ways to approach and solve a problem, so it is possible that your lecturer's method may differ from yours but still yield the correct answer.

If you are unsure about your solution, I would recommend discussing it with your lecturer or a classmate to gain a better understanding. It is also helpful to review the concept of odd functions and how they can simplify the calculation of the Fourier coefficients.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. What is the Exponential Fourier Series Expansion?

The Exponential Fourier Series Expansion is a mathematical technique used to represent a periodic function as an infinite sum of complex exponential functions. It is a useful tool in engineering and physics for analyzing and understanding periodic phenomena.

2. How is the Exponential Fourier Series Expansion different from the Trigonometric Fourier Series Expansion?

The Exponential Fourier Series Expansion uses complex exponential functions, while the Trigonometric Fourier Series Expansion uses only sine and cosine functions. The complex exponential functions provide a more compact representation of periodic functions and are particularly useful for analyzing systems with damping or energy dissipation.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Exponential Fourier Series Coefficients?

The formula for calculating the Exponential Fourier Series Coefficients is:
Cn = (1/T) * ∫T f(t) * e-j2πnt/T dt
where Cn is the nth coefficient, T is the period of the function, and f(t) is the periodic function being represented.

4. Can the Exponential Fourier Series Expansion be used for non-periodic functions?

No, the Exponential Fourier Series Expansion can only be used for periodic functions. For non-periodic functions, other techniques such as the Laplace transform or Fourier transform are more appropriate.

5. What are the applications of the Exponential Fourier Series Expansion?

The Exponential Fourier Series Expansion has many applications in engineering and physics, including signal processing, control systems, and electrical circuits. It is also used in the analysis of periodic phenomena in fields such as acoustics, optics, and vibration analysis.