Finding Period of Pendulum with r, m, L, M

• Thread starter zumi78878
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the period of motion for a pendulum consisting of a uniform disk and a uniform rod. The conversation covers finding the rotational inertia of the system, the distance from the center of the disk to the axis, and plugging in the correct values into the formula for the period of motion. The conversation also touches on the physical pendulum and the negative sign in the torque equation.
zumi78878

Homework Statement

The pendulum shown below right consists of a uniform disk with radius r = 20.0 cm and mass m = 1.2 kg attached to a uniform rod with length L = 40 cm and mass M = 0.8 kg. What is the period of the motion?

3508mqs.jpg

Homework Equations

T = 2∏√(I/mgL)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to plug into what.

Physics news on Phys.org
To start with, you need to calculate the rotational inertia (I) of the system about the axis of rotation. How would you do that?

Also, in your formula for T what does L represent? You'll have to find that as well.

Doc Al said:
To start with, you need to calculate the rotational inertia (I) of the system about the axis of rotation. How would you do that?

Also, in your formula for T what does L represent? You'll have to find that as well.

T = 2∏√(I/mgL)

L represents the distance to the center of mass of the system?
L = [(1.2*(0.4+0.6)/2)+(0.8*(0.4/2)]/(1.2+0.8)
= 0.38m?

using parallel axis theorem:

I = 1/2MR2 + ML2
= (0.5)(1.2)(0.2)2 + 0.8(0.2+0.4)2
=0.312?

zumi78878 said:
T = 2∏√(I/mgL)

Right.
= 0.38m?
What's the distance from the center of the disk to the axis?

I = 1/2MR2 + ML2
= (0.5)(1.2)(0.2)2 + 0.8(0.2+0.4)2
=0.312?
Things are a bit mixed up here. Find the rotational inertia for each piece separately, then add them up. To find the I of the disk about the axis, you'll need the parallel axis theorem. What's the I of a thin rod about one end?

Doc Al said:
Right.

T = 2∏√(I/mgL)

= 0.38m?

the distance from the center of the disk to the pivot is 0.6m.Things are a bit mixed up here. Find the rotational inertia for each piece separately, then add them up. To find the I of the disk about the axis, you'll need the parallel axis theorem. What's the I of a thin rod about one end?

L = [(1.2*0.6)+(0.8*(0.4/2)]/(1.2+0.8)
= 0.44m?using parallel axis theorem:

I of disk = 1/2MR2 + ML2= 1/2(1.2)(0.2)2 + (1.2)(0.6)2= 0.456?
I of thin rod = 1/3ML2 = 1/3(0.8)(0.4)2= 0.0427?

I total = 0.4987?

I have an exam in 45 minutes so i really need to get this cleared up before that.

Last edited:
zumi78878 said:
L = [(1.2*0.6)+(0.8*(0.4/2)]/(1.2+0.8)
= 0.44m?

I of disk = 1/2MR2 + ML2= 1/2(1.2)(0.2)2 + (1.2)(0.6)2= 0.456?
I of thin rod = 1/3ML2 = 1/3(0.8)(0.4)2= 0.0427?

I total = 0.4987?
Looks good.

Doc Al said:
Right.

Things are a bit mixed up here. Find the rotational inertia for each piece separately, then add them up. To find the I of the disk about the axis, you'll need the parallel axis theorem. What's the I of a thin rod about one end?

Doc Al said:
Looks good.
wen i plug m into the formula, T = 2∏√(I/mgL)

do i use the mass of the entire system? so 1.2 + 0.8 = 2kg?

zumi78878 said:
wen i plug m into the formula, T = 2∏√(I/mgL)

do i use the mass of the entire system? so 1.2 + 0.8 = 2kg?
Yes.

For more insight into the physical pendulum and how that equation comes about, review this: Physical Pendulum

Doc Al said:
Yes.

For more insight into the physical pendulum and how that equation comes about, review this: Physical Pendulum

thanks so much for ur help! really appreicate it. glad there are people like you out there.

but last question, can you explain why it has a negative sign in

Torque = -mgLsinθ?

zumi78878 said:
but last question, can you explain why it has a negative sign in

Torque = -mgLsinθ?
Because the torque is in the direction of decreasing θ. (It's a restoring force, tending to bring the system back to the equilibrium point.)

Good luck on your exam!

1. How do I calculate the period of a pendulum?

To calculate the period of a pendulum, you will need to know the length of the pendulum (L), the mass of the object at the end of the pendulum (m), and the gravitational acceleration (g). The formula for calculating the period is T = 2π√(L/g).

2. What is the relationship between the length and period of a pendulum?

The length and period of a pendulum are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. As the length decreases, the period decreases. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π√(L/g).

3. Can the mass of the pendulum affect its period?

Yes, the mass of the pendulum can affect its period. This is because the period also depends on the gravitational acceleration, which is affected by the mass of the object. However, the effect of mass on the period is relatively small compared to the effect of length.

4. What is the unit of measurement for period?

The unit of measurement for period is typically seconds (s). This is because the period is a measure of time, specifically the time it takes for one full swing of the pendulum.

5. What is the significance of finding the period of a pendulum?

Finding the period of a pendulum is important in understanding the behavior of pendulum systems, which are commonly used in clocks and other timekeeping devices. It also has practical applications in areas such as engineering and physics, where pendulums are used in various experiments and calculations.