Why Do Shelves 3 and 4 in My Plasma Oven Heat Up More Than Others?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an industrial plasma oven that operates at 1600 watts for 8 minutes, pulling down to a vacuum of 450mTorr and using oxygen as a medium. After temperature mapping, it was found that shelves 3 and 4 had a significant temperature increase compared to the other shelves due to a possible leak in the cooling water pipes. The speaker is questioning if this leak is causing the temperature increase and is considering further trials before fixing it. They are seeking help and suggestions for this issue.
martine5
Ok small bit of a problem which I have been experiencing.
I am using an industrial size plasma oven by advance plasma sytems. This plasma oven operates at an RF of 1600 watts for approx 8 minutes for the duration of the plasma cycle.
It pulls down to a vacuum of 450mTorr and use oygen as a medium for firing the plasma.
There are 6 shelves within the plasma oven.
After temperature mapping the mapping the oven tehre was 1 significant find, shelves 3 & 4 once the RF kicked in the temperature rose from 20C to roughly 45C, on the other shelve the temp increase was only about 3C,(10 to 23 )
What I am trying to figure out is what would cause teh increase on these 2 shelves? On further inspection there has been a slight leak noted upon the pipes for the cooling water on these 2 shelf level. As teh shelves are paired in a +/- config between shelving units is it a case taht the water is vaporising under for all intensive purposes what could be classified as a farraday cage? Is this water leak the most likely cause of teh temp increase.
Common logic dictates that eliminating this leak and remapping the temperature is the way to go, but at present I would prefer to keep in the current state to run a body of trials and get greater understanding around this temperature increase.
Any help/suggestions with would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
EM

Science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is plasma and how does it differ from a gas?

Plasma is a state of matter in which atoms are ionized, meaning they have lost or gained electrons, resulting in a mixture of positively and negatively charged particles. This differs from a gas, which consists of neutral atoms and molecules.

2. How does temperature affect plasma?

Temperature has a significant impact on plasma, as it determines the level of energy and movement of the charged particles. Higher temperatures typically result in a more energetic and unstable plasma state.

3. What are some common applications of plasma technology?

Plasma technology has a wide range of applications, including in plasma cutting, plasma TVs, and plasma etching in the semiconductor industry. It is also used in various medical and environmental applications, such as sterilization and pollution control.

4. Can plasma be created at room temperature?

Yes, plasma can be created at room temperature through a process called non-equilibrium plasma. This involves creating a low-temperature plasma using electric fields, rather than relying on high temperatures.

5. What impact does plasma have on the environment?

Plasma can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it can be used for pollution control and waste treatment. On the other hand, the creation of plasma often requires a significant amount of energy, which can contribute to climate change. Additionally, there may be potential health risks associated with exposure to certain types of plasma.

Back