Physics B.S. E.E. Ph.D. What next ?

In summary, the speaker is a Ph.D. student looking to finish their degree within the next year and continue in academic work. They have focused on physics in their EE Ph.D. program and also have a strong background in computer science. The speaker would like to stay in Europe and is seeking ideas for research directions and potential locations, with a preference for experimental physics.
kspace
Hello Physics Forums.

I am looking at finishing my Ph.D. here within the next year or so. I am looking to continue in academic work. My PhD work has mostly been directed deeper into physics (semiconductor and 2D materials) despite being in the EE department (there is a lot of need for basic research due to recent grants).

I am not sure how competent I am as an "electrical engineer" - though I have managed to master many EE related topics during my very physics heavy EE Ph.D. I also have a very strong background in computer science as well. I would like to stay in Europe, as this is close to home for me.

Any ideas of what direction I can take my research (or better ... where ??)I would like to go back into experimental physics in some capacity.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know almost anything about EE, but here is a nice research center in Belgium, have a look.
http://www2.imec.be/be_en/home.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What career opportunities are available with a Physics B.S. degree?

With a Physics B.S. degree, you can pursue a variety of careers such as research scientist, data analyst, engineer, science teacher, or technical writer. You can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, or healthcare.

2. How does pursuing an E.E. Ph.D. differ from a traditional Physics Ph.D.?

An E.E. Ph.D. focuses on the application of physics principles to solve problems in the field of electrical engineering. This involves courses and research in areas such as electromagnetism, electronics, and control systems. A traditional Physics Ph.D. focuses more on theoretical and experimental physics research.

3. Can I work in industry with an E.E. Ph.D.?

Yes, many industries value the expertise and problem-solving skills of individuals with an E.E. Ph.D. You can work in research and development, product design, or consulting roles in industries such as telecommunications, electronics, or renewable energy.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a Ph.D. after a Physics B.S. and E.E. Ph.D.?

Earning a Ph.D. after a Physics B.S. and E.E. Ph.D. allows you to gain a deep understanding of both fundamental physics principles and their practical applications in the field of electrical engineering. This can open up opportunities for advanced research positions, leadership roles, and higher salaries in both academia and industry.

5. Are there any alternative career paths for individuals with a Physics B.S., E.E. Ph.D., and Ph.D.?

Yes, there are many alternative career paths for individuals with a strong background in physics and electrical engineering. Some options include working in finance, patent law, science communication, or even starting your own tech company. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained from these degrees can be applied to various industries and roles.