About satellite launching and satellites in orbits

In summary, when a satellite is launched from Earth, it starts out going vertically upwards and then the engines are "steered" to curve its flight path into a horizontal (tangential) one. This is necessary in order to reach the required orbital speed, which is multiple times faster than the Earth's rotation speed. The geostationary orbit, which requires the same angular speed as the Earth's rotation, also requires additional horizontal speed. This is because geostationary means same angular speed, not same tangential speed. The shape of the orbit also plays a role in determining the height attained by the satellite.
PhysicsStudnt
Dear Experts,

When we launch a satellite, we launch it from Earth which is spinning, so the tangential velocity component of the point on the surface where the rocket is launched from will be acquired by it. Is that the only horizontal velocity or is the rocket accelerated at an angle upward? How is it practically done?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rocket starts out going vertically upwards, then the engines are "steered" so as to make the flight path curve into a "horizontal" (actually tangential) one.

Likes 1 person
Thank You. I still have a little doubt regarding this. Even if i don't impart it any horizontal speed,i guess it will still have a horizontal speed resulting from the fact that it is sent from a plane that is spinning. So why do i need to impart more horizontal speed? is there any technical or practical side to it?.

Orbital speed

From wikipedia the Earth radius is 6371.0 Km it take 24h for one turn: 463m/s

depending on your altitute there is different Obital speed but it is multiple time the Earth rotation.
V=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}[/itex]

Last edited:
So i guess it is arguably less compared to the orbital velocity.

I just find a good example geostationary orbit occur when the satellite speed equal Earth rotation it is at 36 000 km everything below that need more horizontal speed.

JasonGodbout said:
I just find a good example geostationary orbit occur when the satellite speed equal Earth rotation it is at 36 000 km everything below that need more horizontal speed.
The geostationary orbit requires more horizontal speed too. Geostationary means same angular speed, not same tangential speed. But there is an orbit beyond the geostationary that has the same tangential speed as the surface at the equator, so it doesn't require any tangential acceleration.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
If there was no atmoshpere, you'd want to launch horizontally as soon as possible to make efficient use of fuel, since the goal is to increase velocity, not climb vertically which has to oppose the force from gravity. With an atmosphere, drag presents another opposing force, and it's a compromise made to accelerate both vertically and horiztonally, reducing thrust if needed until the astmosphere is thin enough that you don't stress the launch vehicle. Most of the change in speed occurs after a launched aircraft is nearly horizontal, well into the very thin upper fringes of the atmosphere. The thrust may be completely horizontal, but the spacecraft continues to "climb" since the increase in speed results in an outwards spiraling path.

When i send a projectile up, the height attained clearly relates to the angle of projection. But quite differently, when i launch a satellite, the height it attained is independent of the angle of projection. In fact, i guess, both the horizontal and vertical components in a launch contribute to increasing the distance from the surface of the earth. But how can i explain this more quantitatively and mathematically.

PhysicsStudnt said:
When i send a projectile up, the height attained clearly relates to the angle of projection. But quite differently, when i launch a satellite, the height it attained is independent of the angle of projection. In fact, i guess, both the horizontal and vertical components in a launch contribute to increasing the distance from the surface of the earth. But how can i explain this more quantitatively and mathematically.

Don't be thinking just about the height - you also have to consider the shape of the orbit, how elliptical it is.

1. How are satellites launched into orbit?

Satellites are typically launched into orbit by rockets. The rocket provides the initial thrust to get the satellite off the ground and into space. Once in space, the rocket will detach from the satellite and the satellite will use its own propulsion system to reach its desired orbit.

2. What are the different types of orbits that satellites can be placed in?

There are several types of orbits that satellites can be placed in, including low Earth orbit, medium Earth orbit, geostationary orbit, and polar orbit. Each type of orbit has its advantages and is chosen based on the specific purpose and function of the satellite.

3. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit due to the balance between their forward motion and the gravitational pull of the Earth. This is known as centripetal force. As long as the satellite's speed and altitude remain constant, it will continue to orbit the Earth.

4. What happens to satellites when they reach the end of their lifespan?

When a satellite reaches the end of its lifespan, it will either be moved to a graveyard orbit or completely deorbited. A graveyard orbit is a higher orbit that is less likely to interfere with active satellites. If a satellite is deorbited, it will burn up in the Earth's atmosphere.

5. How are satellites controlled and monitored while in orbit?

Satellites are controlled and monitored by ground stations located on Earth. These ground stations use tracking antennas to communicate with the satellite and send commands for controlling its orbit and functions. Satellites also have onboard systems for monitoring their health and status while in orbit.