Can you prove that f(x)=0 for all x in [a,b]?

• Thread starter steven187
  • Start date
In summary, if f is a continuous function on an interval [a,b], and x is an element of that interval, then f(x) is either a constant or a function that satisfies the following equation: f(x)=-cx for some c>0.
steven187
hello all

well iv been workin on this problem but no matter how many ideas cross my mind i can't prove it, iv tried playing around with the properties of continuous functions on closed intervals but didnt get me anywhere

let f be a contiuous function on [a,b] which is non-negative, suppose that

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx=0[/tex]
show that
[tex]f(x)=0 \ \forall x\epsilon [a,b][/tex]

this is probably the best of my proofs but i don't think its correct because i think i have to prove contradiction for all functions that are more than zero, please help any advice would be helpful

thank you

lets assume that f(x)>0 let f(x)=c>0 by FTC
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)=0[/tex]
[tex]F(b)=F(a)[/tex]
since f(x)>0 then F(x)=cx where c>=0
ca=cb
0=cb-ca
0=c(b-a) since x is an element of [a,b] for all a,b an element of R then c=0
therefore a contradiction and f(x)=0

Physics news on Phys.org
if f is non-zero at some point in [a,b] it is non-zero in some interval around that point. and that's sufficient to show the answer.

if f(x)=c then it is a constant function. but you aren't told f(x) is constant, are you?

Last edited:
since f(x)>0 then F(x)=cx where c>=0

That certainly doesn't follow!

If, for any x, f(x)> 0 then there exist some small closed interval around that x on which f(x) is positive (since f is continuous). In fact, f must have a minimum on that interval which is positive. The integral of f on that small interval must be a positive number and, since f is non-negative the integral on the entire interval cannot be less than that positive number.

HallsofIvy said:
That certainly doesn't follow!

If, for any x, f(x)> 0 then there exist some small closed interval around that x on which f(x) is positive (since f is continuous). In fact, f must have a minimum on that interval which is positive. The integral of f on that small interval must be a positive number and, since f is non-negative the integral on the entire interval cannot be less than that positive number.

Why do I find this stuff so interesting?

I hear whispers of Cauchy in the hallways of Analysis. :smile:

1. How do you prove a scientific theory?

Proving a scientific theory involves conducting experiments and collecting data to support the hypothesis. This data is then analyzed and compared to the expected outcomes to determine whether the hypothesis is supported or not.

2. What is the difference between proof and evidence in science?

In science, proof is a term that is often avoided as it implies absolute certainty. Instead, scientists use the term evidence to refer to the data and observations that support a hypothesis or theory. Evidence is constantly evaluated and can be revised or disproven as new data is collected.

3. Can a scientific theory be proven wrong?

Yes, scientific theories can be proven wrong or disproven. This is the nature of the scientific method, which encourages questioning and testing of hypotheses. As new evidence is collected, theories can be revised or replaced with new ones.

4. Is it possible to prove something without experiments?

In some cases, it is possible to prove something without experiments. This is often the case in theoretical or mathematical sciences, where theories can be proven using logical deductions and mathematical equations. However, experiments are still an important part of the scientific process to gather evidence and support theories.

5. How can you ensure the validity of a scientific proof?

To ensure the validity of a scientific proof, it is important to follow the scientific method and conduct rigorous experiments with controlled variables. It is also important to have reproducible results and to have the experiment peer-reviewed by other scientists in the field.