Why rotational in vibrational?

• Thread starter photon79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, rotational transitions occur at the same time as vibrational transitions and can be observed within the vibrational spectrum with sensitive enough equipment. This is due to the fact that molecules jump both vibrational and rotational levels simultaneously and are bound by both vibrational and rotational selection rules. While purely rotational transitions occur in the microwave region, combined rotational and vibrational transitions can occur in the infrared.
photon79
why rotational in vibrational??

Hello,
I recently had an exam in Molecular physics, in which one of the unanswered questions asked by my proff was "How come there are rotational transition lines in a vibrational spectrum? because we observe vibrational spectrum in infrared level radiation and rotational in micro wave level ,,then how rotational lines are incorporated in vibrational spectrum"??

please let me know because I have to give this exam again!

Physics news on Phys.org
photon79 said:
Hello,
I recently had an exam in Molecular physics, in which one of the unanswered questions asked by my proff was "How come there are rotational transition lines in a vibrational spectrum? because we observe vibrational spectrum in infrared level radiation and rotational in micro wave level ,,then how rotational lines are incorporated in vibrational spectrum"??

Because rotational transitions occur at the same time as vibrational. As you've indicated, rotational energies are an order of magnitude lower that vibrational; so with sensitive enough equipment (with high enough resolution) one can observe a 'fine structure' (rotational energies) within the vibrational sprectrum.

See here for explanation:http://www.answers.com/topic/rotational-spectroscopy

Creator

I would suggest looking at the energy level diagram and rationalise what peaks correspond to what transition.

When the molecules jump vibrational levels, they are, at the same time jumping rotational levels as well. In addition to being bound by vibrational selection rules, they are also bound by rotational selection rules for every transition that is made.

Essentially a purely rotational transition occurs in the microwave region, BUT a combined rotational and vibrational transition (or rovibrational) occurs in the infrared (commonly, there are exceptions).

I hope that sort of answers your question. If you have further questions, post them here.

Claude.

1. Why do molecules have rotational and vibrational motion?

Molecules have both rotational and vibrational motion because they are made up of atoms that are bonded together. These bonds are not rigid, and the atoms are constantly moving and vibrating. Additionally, molecules have kinetic energy, which causes them to rotate and vibrate.

2. What is the difference between rotational and vibrational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of a molecule around its center of mass, while vibrational motion refers to the back-and-forth movement of atoms within a molecule. Rotational motion involves changes in energy levels, while vibrational motion involves changes in bond length and bond strength.

3. How are rotational and vibrational motion related to temperature?

As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of molecules also increases, causing them to rotate and vibrate more vigorously. This results in an increase in both rotational and vibrational motion. At very high temperatures, molecules may even break apart due to the increased energy.

4. What is the significance of rotational and vibrational motion in spectroscopy?

In spectroscopy, rotational and vibrational motion are important because they allow scientists to study the energy levels and structure of molecules. The absorption or emission of energy in the form of light can provide information about the rotational and vibrational states of a molecule, which can be used to identify and study different molecules.

5. How do rotational and vibrational motion affect the properties of molecules?

Rotational and vibrational motion can affect various properties of molecules, such as their shape, size, and reactivity. For example, the bond angles and lengths in a molecule can change due to rotational and vibrational motion, which can affect its overall shape. Vibrational motion can also affect the strength of bonds, which can impact the reactivity of a molecule.