Magnitude of Force Exerted on 1904kg Car by Road

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force exerted on a car by the road while pulling a trailer with a combined mass of 2484.72kg and an acceleration of 2.32m/s^2. The question arises whether the trailer's mass can be neglected in the calculation, with one person suggesting that it is similar to a heavier car. Ultimately, the person figures out the correct calculation, revealing that the professor's answer was incorrect.
AdnamaLeigh
A 1904kg car is pulling a 580.72kg trailer. Together the car and the trailer have an acceleration of 2.32m/s^2. Neglecting frictional forces acting on the trailer, find the magnitude of the force exterted on the car by the road.

My prof told me to just add the two masses and multiply them the acceleration. The answer was wrong. But since it's only asking about the force regarding the car, could we just neglect the trailer's mass? Wouldn't it just be 1904(2.32)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not a physicist but since trailer isn't self-powered it's just like a heavier car.

Nevermind, I figured it out. My prof was way off on this one. Heh.

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnitude of force exerted on a 1904kg car by the road?

The equation for calculating the magnitude of force is F = m * a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How is the mass of the car and the acceleration of the car related to the magnitude of force?

The mass and acceleration of the car are directly proportional to the magnitude of force. This means that as the mass or acceleration increases, the force exerted on the car by the road also increases.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of force?

The unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N).

4. How can the magnitude of force exerted on a car by the road be affected by other factors?

The magnitude of force exerted on a car by the road can be affected by factors such as the surface of the road, the speed of the car, and the presence of other external forces (such as friction or air resistance).

5. Can the magnitude of force exerted on a car by the road be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of force can be negative if the car is decelerating or slowing down. In this case, the force exerted by the road is in the opposite direction of the car's motion.