Solving 4th Order Differential Equation: y^(4)-1=5

• Thread starter ranger1716
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a 4th order differential equation, where the equation is given as y^(4)-1=5 and the initial conditions are y'(0)=y''(0)=y^(3)(0)=0. The conversation details the process of finding the general solution and determining the constants, as well as clarifying the correct approach for solving the equation. It is mentioned that there may be a missing fourth initial condition and the solution for this case is also discussed. The conversation concludes with a playful exchange about editing posts.
ranger1716
I have a question regarding a 4th order differential equation from an exam i just took.

we were asked to solve y^(4)-1=5 given y'(0)=y''(0)=y^(3)(0)=0

I started by factoring down to (r-1)(r+1)(r^2+1)=5.

I then found my general solution to be y=C_1e^6x+C_2e^4x+C_3e^2x+C_4e^-2x

Obviously I would then be left with four equations with four unknowns to solve for my constants. Would I need to use a solver and/or hand solve the equations in order to find the constants? I didn't have time to do that so I just put the equations into a matrix and said that the constants were all equal to zero.

Just thought I would ask what the right approach would be (a little to anxious to wait another week)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify what your DE is:

Is it [itex]y^{(4)} - y = 5[/itex], or [itex]y^{(4)} - 1 =5[/itex]?

In the second case, rearrange it to [itex]y^{(4)} = 6.[/itex] The answer is just some 4th order polynomial (the coeffs are easy so I'll let you work them out. Think about it for a minute :smile:).

In the first case the answer is even simpler; y(x) = -5. :wink:

Edit: Ignore this and see below.

Last edited:
If what you wrote is correct, then the solution is [itex]y(x)=\frac{x^4}{4}+c[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex] is a constant.

If what you meant is [itex]y^{(4)}-y=5[/itex], then you are missing one condition on [itex]y(0)[/itex], and your solution is incorrect.

What went wrong you may ask. Well, the solution of the second equation is the sum of the homogeneous equation [itex]y_h^{(4)}-y_h=0[/itex], plus the solution of the particular equation [itex]y_p^{(4)}-y_p=5[/itex]. The particular solution is clearly [itex]y_p=-5[/itex], so you only have to solve the homogeneous equation, which indeed has the form

[tex]y_h(x)=c_1e^{r_1x}+c_2e^{r_2x}+c_3e^{r_3x}+c_4e^{r_4x},[/tex]

where [itex]r_i[/itex] are the roots of the characteristic equation [itex]r^4-1=0[/itex]. Therefore, the solution is

[tex]y_h(x)=c_1e^{x}+c_2e^{-x}+c_3e^{ix}+c_4e^{-ix},[/tex]

and evaluating on the initial conditions,

[tex]y(x)=\frac{y_0+5}{2}\left[\cosh x+\cos x\right]-5,[/tex]

where [itex]y(0)=y_0[/itex].

Last edited:
Whoops, you're right. I forgot about the missing fourth init. cond.!

Last edited:
Lets hope the missing condition is [itex]y(0)=-5[/itex] ;)

Indeed! I was about to post the problem with regard to the 2 in front of the cos term (I needed to check that I wasn't making another dumb mistake, first!), but I see that you've already gotten to it. :biggrin:

Lol, I always have to edit my posts like 7 times :P

Yes, it seems like a common phenomenon with mine as well :wink:.

What is a 4th order differential equation?

A 4th order differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the fourth order. It is usually written in the form of y^(4)-1=5, where y is the function and 1 and 5 are constants.

What is the process for solving a 4th order differential equation?

The process for solving a 4th order differential equation involves finding a general solution, which is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values. This is usually done by using techniques such as substitution, integration, and solving systems of equations.

Why is it important to solve 4th order differential equations?

4th order differential equations are important in many fields of science and engineering, as they can be used to model complex systems and phenomena. They allow us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of these systems, which can have real-world applications.

What are some common techniques used to solve 4th order differential equations?

Some common techniques used to solve 4th order differential equations include separation of variables, power series, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. The specific technique used will depend on the form of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

Are there any tips for solving 4th order differential equations?

Some tips for solving 4th order differential equations include breaking the equation down into smaller, more manageable parts, identifying any symmetries or patterns, and being patient and thorough in your calculations. It can also be helpful to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation.