Finding area of a gold leaf

• Thread starter P.O.L.A.R
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Gold
In summary: After finding the total number of elements and their dimensions, you can solve for the total gold area.
P.O.L.A.R

Homework Statement

Gold, which has a density of 19.32 g/cm^3, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber. (a) If a sample of gold, witha mass of 27.63g, is pressed into a leaf 1.000 µm thickness, what is the area of the leaf? (b) If, instead, the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.500 µm, what is the length of the fiber?

Homework Equations

ρ=m/V (density)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having trouble finding a direction to go in. I think converting to density is the way to go but I am having trouble using the density formula as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
P.O.L.A.R said:

Homework Statement

Gold, which has a density of 19.32 g/cm^3, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber. (a) If a sample of gold, witha mass of 27.63g, is pressed into a leaf 1.000 µm thickness, what is the area of the leaf? (b) If, instead, the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.500 µm, what is the length of the fiber?

Homework Equations

ρ=m/V (density)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having trouble finding a direction to go in. I think converting to density is the way to go but I am having trouble using the density formula as well.
But aren't you given the density: 19.32?
Hint: You need to know volume of a cylinder, and that other thing (cube ?) in order to solve this.

So, I guess both require two steps.

rootX said:
But aren't you given the density: 19.32?
Hint: You need to know volume of a cylinder, and that other thing (cube ?) in order to solve this.

So, I guess both require two steps.

Ok so my intial direction was right but the problem I am having now the area. It just doesn't make sense how I can take the density and find the area. The set-up is not making sense.

first find the relationship between area and volume
and then between volume and density/mass

and you will get the area

I got it. Thanks for the help the relationship is what I was confusing but all I had to do was divde the density by the mass to get rid of the grams and then convert the cm^3 to µm^3 and relate the area and volume as you said and then the volume with the area.

Thanks

How to solve this problem after finding volume using density and mass

dhago07 said:
How to solve this problem after finding volume using density and mass

You need to find a relationship between area and volume for the shape you are considering. For gold leaf, assume that you are using the equation for 2 faces of a cube of material and for a rod assume the area is limited to that of a rod minus the ends.

chemisttree said:
You need to find a relationship between area and volume for the shape you are considering. For gold leaf, assume that you are using the equation for 2 faces of a cube of material and for a rod assume the area is limited to that of a rod minus the ends.

But what kind of formula should i use for 2 face cube and also for the rod

Thanks for replaying back.

Using the example of the gold leaf, assume you have a collection of finite elements, each of which is a cube of the same dimension as the thickness (w= 1.000 µm) of the foil. The area of each face of the cube will be w2 and you need two of 'em. Next, you need to understand that the total volume of the gold will be N*w3 where 'N' is equal to the number of elements of dimension w X w X w.

Can you get there from here?

1. How do you find the area of a gold leaf?

To find the area of a gold leaf, you will need to measure the length and width of the leaf using a ruler or measuring tape. Then, multiply the length by the width to calculate the area in square inches or centimeters.

2. Can you use any type of ruler to measure the gold leaf?

Yes, you can use any type of ruler as long as it has clearly marked measurements in either inches or centimeters. It is important to ensure accuracy in your measurements to get an accurate area calculation.

3. How do you handle the delicate gold leaf without damaging it?

To handle gold leaf without damaging it, it is recommended to use tweezers or a small paintbrush. You can also use gloves to prevent oils from your skin transferring onto the gold leaf, which could cause damage.

4. What is the formula for finding the area of an irregularly shaped gold leaf?

If the gold leaf is irregularly shaped, you can use the formula for the area of a triangle (A = 1/2 * base * height) to find the area. First, divide the leaf into smaller triangles, measure the base and height of each triangle, and then add the areas together to get the total area of the leaf.

5. Can you use the same method to find the area of a gold leaf that is attached to a surface?

If the gold leaf is attached to a surface, you can still use the same method to find the area. Measure the length and width of the surface, including the attached gold leaf, and then subtract the area of the surface from the total area to find the area of just the gold leaf.