Can (n-1) be Divisible by n for Any Natural Number n ≥ 5 and Not Prime?

• Thread starter xax
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a statement for any natural number n greater than or equal to 5 that is not prime. The key point is whether the factors of n are less than or equal to n-1, as they will both show up in (n-1)! and therefore n will divide (n-1)!. The conversation also touches on the consideration of squares of prime numbers and how they fit into the proof. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the statement is true for n greater than 4, as shown by various demonstrations.
xax
I need to prove this for any n natural, n>= 5, n not prime.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think a bit about the prime factors of n... are they smaller than n? Then think of what (n-1)! means.

Dodo's hint is excellent- but the crucial point is whether the factors of n are less than n-1, not jus n itself!

If n is not prime, then n=j*k, where j and k are >1, therefore both <n. As a result both are factors in (n-1)!, so n divides (n-1)!.

Almost there, one last thing to consider is the squares of prime numbers. What happens when n=9=3*3 for example? This is where the n>=5 comes in.

You all have good points and I thought of all of them and the reason I've posted this is because of the square numbers as rodigee said. Well I think if n = k*k then k is one of the numbers between 1 and n-1. since n=k*k then k divides (n-k) and this is smaller the n-1 which means n divides (n-1)!.

Sorry, xax but I don't really understand your idea heh. This is how I see it:

[tex]n > 4[/tex] implies that

[tex]\sqrt{n} > 2[/tex] so we also have that [tex]\sqrt{n}\sqrt{n} > 2\sqrt{n}[/tex] or simply [tex]n > 2\sqrt{n}[/tex], meaning that [tex]2\sqrt{n}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex] both show up in [tex](n-1)![/tex] so we're good to go.

You make perfect sense rodigee and this is a nicer demonstation than mine. Thank you.

1. What does "(n-1) is divisible by n" mean?

When we say that "(n-1) is divisible by n", it means that the remainder when (n-1) is divided by n is equal to 0. In other words, n is a factor of (n-1).

2. How do you prove that "(n-1) is divisible by n"?

To prove that "(n-1) is divisible by n", you can use the division algorithm. Divide (n-1) by n and if the remainder is equal to 0, then n is a factor of (n-1) and therefore, (n-1) is divisible by n.

3. Can you give an example of a number where "(n-1) is divisible by n" is true?

Yes, for example, if n=5, then (n-1) is 4 and when we divide 4 by 5, the remainder is 0. Therefore, 5 is a factor of (n-1), and (n-1) is divisible by n.

4. Is it always true that "(n-1) is divisible by n"?

No, it is not always true. In fact, it is only true for specific numbers. For example, if n=3, then (n-1) is 2 and when we divide 2 by 3, the remainder is not 0. Therefore, 3 is not a factor of (n-1) and (n-1) is not divisible by n.

5. How is the concept of "(n-1) is divisible by n" useful in mathematics?

The concept of "(n-1) is divisible by n" is useful in various mathematical concepts such as number theory, algebra, and even in proving certain theorems. It is also used in solving equations and in finding the factors of a number.