4-Manifolds and Kirby Calculus by Gompf.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: If you are already familiar with the essentials of algebraic geometry and topology, the appendix is a nice refresher.In summary, you should have a course in differential topology (Analysis on manifolds), and a course in topology which covers also introduction to algebriac topology, in order to read this textbook.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
What should one know before reading this textbook?
I have taken a course in differential topology (it was called Analysis on manifolds), and a course in topology which covered also introduction to algebriac topology, and I am reading Spanier's textbook, will that suffice for this textbook?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not even close. Gompf's book is for researchers in the field of 4-mfld topology. I could potentially see it being used for an advanced topics course, but not likely.

So what do you need to know before you read it?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
What should one know before reading this textbook?
I have taken a course in differential topology (it was called Analysis on manifolds), and a course in topology which covered also introduction to algebriac topology, and I am reading Spanier's textbook, will that suffice for this textbook?

Some familiarity with algebraic geometry, gauge theory (but you are a physicist so you likely know this already), and the theory of fiber bundles.

You might want to look at other references of handle bodies that preceded Kirby calculus. If you are interested in this tangent I can give you references

wofsy said:
You might want to look at other references of handle bodies that preceded Kirby calculus. If you are interested in this tangent I can give you references

I would be interested in these references as well. :D

Yes, wofsy, any references will be terrific by me.

for handle body theory there are many references. The ones I have looked at are Intro to Piecewise-Linear Topology by Rourke and Sanderson and Lectures on the H-Cobordism Theorem by Milnor. These are tough books but well worth the pain.

For a quick intro to modern gauge theory from the mathematician's view point, there is an appendix in Milnor's Characteristic Classes that will get you started. This wonderful exposition derives Chern and Pontryagin classes from the curvature 2-form in only a few pages. The view of gauge theory is that it is differential geometry without a metric, only a connection. But the interplay of this more general form of differential geometry with standard Riemannian geometry leads to profound results. For instance, if the connection is compatible with a metric one always has an Euler class derived from the curvature form. However, there are connections which are not compatible with any metric and then the Euler class may not be expressed in term of curvature. Milnor gives an example of a flat connection - zero curvature 2 form - on a 2 plane bundle over a surface that has non zero Euler class!

I do not know this stuff well and would be glad to read it with you.

Last edited:
Wofsy, I agree that Milnor's book is a fantastic reference, but in the interest of full disclosure one should mention that the list of prerequisites for that book is even longer. I would say that Milnor's book on Morse Theory, Milnor's book on Characteristic classes, some exposure to algebraic topology (say at the level of Hatcher or Bott & Tu), and decent books on differential topology (Milnor's book may be good enough, but I'll say Hirsch to be safe) and Riemannian geometry are necessary.

This is coming from the point of view of a geometer/topologist, of course. IMO, the only way to start learning 4-manifold topology is to understand why h-cobordism doesn't work in dimension four. Even the hand-waviest explanation of this is that you can't embed 2-disks generically in dimension 4. If one has to take even this on faith...

zhentil said:
Wofsy, I agree that Milnor's book is a fantastic reference, but in the interest of full disclosure one should mention that the list of prerequisites for that book is even longer. I would say that Milnor's book on Morse Theory, Milnor's book on Characteristic classes, some exposure to algebraic topology (say at the level of Hatcher or Bott & Tu), and decent books on differential topology (Milnor's book may be good enough, but I'll say Hirsch to be safe) and Riemannian geometry are necessary.

This is coming from the point of view of a geometer/topologist, of course. IMO, the only way to start learning 4-manifold topology is to understand why h-cobordism doesn't work in dimension four. Even the hand-waviest explanation of this is that you can't embed 2-disks generically in dimension 4. If one has to take even this on faith...

The appendix requires little background - it is true that you must know the universal definition of characteristic classes - but their proofs are secondary to this section.

Last edited:

1. What is a 4-manifold?

A 4-manifold is a mathematical object with four dimensions, similar to a 3-dimensional space but with an extra dimension. It can be thought of as a space that has both length, width, height, and an additional dimension of time or some other variable.

2. What is Kirby calculus?

Kirby calculus is a mathematical tool used for studying and classifying 4-manifolds. It involves cutting and pasting techniques that allow for the manipulation of 4-manifolds in a controlled manner.

3. Who is Robion Kirby?

Robion Kirby is a mathematician who developed the calculus used in the study of 4-manifolds. His work has greatly impacted the field of topology and has led to many advancements in our understanding of 4-manifolds.

4. How is Kirby calculus used in the study of 4-manifolds?

Kirby calculus allows mathematicians to decompose and reassemble 4-manifolds in a way that preserves important topological properties. This makes it possible to classify and distinguish between different types of 4-manifolds.

5. What are some applications of 4-manifolds and Kirby calculus?

4-manifolds and Kirby calculus have applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are also used in the study of knot theory and low-dimensional topology, and have applications in understanding the structure of space-time in general relativity.