Rigid equilibrium question involving a ladder

• Thread starter LizzleBizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary: It should be easy to see that the weight of the ladder causes no moment about the front - and then you'll have no quadratic problem to solve.
LizzleBizzle

Homework Statement

"Three people are carrying a horizontal ladder 4.00 m long. One of them holds the front end of the ladder, and the other two hold opposite sides of the ladder the same distance from its far end. What is the distance of the latter two people from the far end of the ladder if each person supports one-third of the ladder's weight?"

Homework Equations

T=F*l
ET=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture of the ladder with one person in the front, and two people (x) distance away from the opposite end of the ladder. So, x is the distance from the two people to the far end, and 4-x is the distance of the front person from the two people.

Each holds one-third of the ladder's weight.

I decided I'd set the axis of rotation as the far end of the ladder and set up my equilibrium equation, so...

ET = (2/3w)(x) + (1/3w)(4-x) = 0

And then I kind of got stuck after fiddling around with my equation and getting, uh, nowhere. Tried to throw in a center of gravity equation and realized that wasn't really helping me. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Liz

Physics news on Phys.org
Try setting the person at the front of the ladder at 0.00m, and the other two people at x. Then take the moment about the front of the ladder.

Also, don't forget to take into account the weight of the ladder in your FBD.

Hi, Liz, and welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

LizzleBizzle said:

Homework Statement

"Three people are carrying a horizontal ladder 4.00 m long. One of them holds the front end of the ladder, and the other two hold opposite sides of the ladder the same distance from its far end. What is the distance of the latter two people from the far end of the ladder if each person supports one-third of the ladder's weight?"

Homework Equations

T=F*l
ET=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture of the ladder with one person in the front, and two people (x) distance away from the opposite end of the ladder. So, x is the distance from the two people to the far end, and 4-x is the distance of the front person from the two people.
Yes, but what's the distance of the front person from the far end?
Each holds one-third of the ladder's weight.
Yes.
I decided I'd set the axis of rotation as the far end of the ladder and set up my equilibrium equation, so...
good idea
ET = (2/3w)(x) + (1/3w)(4-x) = 0
If you are summing moments about the far end, then you must determine the distance of each force from the far end. What is the distance from the front person to the far end? It is not (4-x). And you forgot to include the moment from the ladder's weight, the resultant force of which acts at the center of gravity of the ladder.

p21bass said:
Try setting the person at the front of the ladder at 0.00m, and the other two people at x. Then take the moment about the front of the ladder.
That's an even better idea :approve:

Ah ha. After a second cup of coffee, I gained a little more inspiration...thank you for the hints. So here's what I have so far, but maybe I have missed something:

I changed my point of rotation to the front end, as suggested. I accounted for the weight of the ladder.

I found the center of gravity to be (2/3w)(x) + (1/3)w(4) / w , which boils down to 2/3x + 1.3.

In this case, the force of the two guys in the back would rotate clockwise around the axis of rotation, so that value is negative, and the weight, which would rotate counterclockwise, is positive.

So...
ET = 0 = (2/3w)(4-x) - [(w)(2/3x + 1.3)]
0 = 2.6666w - 2/3wx - 2/3wx - 1.3w
1.3w = 1.3wx
x = 1 m?

This answer COULD make sense.

Huh? The center of gravity of the ladder would be at the midpoint - don't overthink it. And again, make the location of the two-person support as x. Then solve the equation for sum of moments.

1. What is the definition of rigid equilibrium in relation to a ladder?

Rigid equilibrium refers to the state in which a ladder is stable and not subject to any external forces or movements. This means that the ladder is balanced and will not tip over or collapse.

2. How is rigid equilibrium achieved in a ladder?

Rigid equilibrium is achieved by ensuring that the ladder is properly placed on a stable surface, such as the ground or a wall, and that it is at the correct angle. The ladder should also be securely supported and not subject to any external forces or movements.

3. What factors affect the rigid equilibrium of a ladder?

The angle of the ladder, the weight and distribution of the load on the ladder, and the stability of the surface the ladder is resting on are all factors that can affect the rigid equilibrium of a ladder.

4. How do you calculate the angle of a ladder for rigid equilibrium?

The angle of a ladder for rigid equilibrium can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. This involves measuring the height and distance of the ladder and then using the formula tanθ = h/d, where θ is the angle, h is the height, and d is the distance.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with a ladder in rigid equilibrium?

When working with a ladder in rigid equilibrium, it is important to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. This includes ensuring the ladder is placed on a stable surface, using proper ladder positioning and securing techniques, and not exceeding the ladder's weight capacity. It is also important to have a spotter or helper to hold the ladder steady while in use.