Speaker Building: Tips, Advice & Experiences

In summary, The speaker building frontier is unexplored territory for this self-proclaimed audiophile who has a high-end audio interface and various sets of speakers. While experienced in woodworking and math, the idea of building a speaker cabinet seems daunting without proper resources or guidance. Suggestions for speaker building resources are welcome.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
Hey folks,

I fancy myself as a bit of an audiophile. I love listening. I have a high-end audio interface on my computer with one set of outputs going to a pair of KRK studio monitors and a studio sub, and the other set of outputs going to some Klipsch Promedia general listening speakers.

In my living room I have a 5.1 surround sound system made out of matched driver Paradigm speakers. Two Monitor 7 v5s, two Monitor Atom v5s, and a CC-190 v5. I also have a Velodyne subwoofer.

Even my in-ear monitors cost more than the iPod they're connected to.

That being said, one frontier I've never crossed into is speaker building. I have some high-end stuff kicking around that has since been displaced by my newer equipment, and I'd love to experiment with speaker building. I'm sure I can make a crossover without any issue, but all I've ever built are shelves, racks, a TV stand, some speaker stands... I've never tried to make something as complicated as a speaker cabinet.

Has anyone done anything like this? Just looking for some first hand experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never done anything like this and wouldn't be able to recognize quality audio if it was biting me.

But I did hold in my hands once some old issues of Speaker Builder Magazine.
Google for those three words and I think you will find people and resources at your level.

Bill Simpson said:
I've never done anything like this and wouldn't be able to recognize quality audio if it was biting me.

But I did hold in my hands once some old issues of Speaker Builder Magazine.
Google for those three words and I think you will find people and resources at your level.

Thanks, I've read some online stuff... actually a LOT of online stuff. It's kind of depressing, though... it always follows the same format:
  1. Choose a driver or set of drivers - okay, check!
  2. Calculate the proper enclosure and port volumes to enhance deadband frequencies - yup, okay!
  3. Test the speaker using your amazingly expensive test-tone-CD/microphone system - uhhhhhhh?
  4. Adjust your crossover and filters to improve the response - well, okay...
  5. Rerun the test with the microphone - grrrrrr!
  6. If necessary...

There's nothing out there for ultra-amateurs. I'm good with woodworking and I'm good at math and fabricating electronics... but putting it all together into something I'm not embarrassed by seems like an unlikely proposition.

1. What materials are best for building speakers?

The best materials for building speakers depend on personal preference and the desired sound quality. Some common materials used include wood, plastic, and metal. Each material has its own unique properties and can affect the sound produced by the speaker.

2. How can I improve the sound quality of my homemade speakers?

There are several ways to improve the sound quality of homemade speakers. One option is to use high-quality speaker components, such as drivers and crossovers. Another option is to carefully design the speaker enclosure to minimize sound distortion. Additionally, proper placement and calibration of the speakers can greatly improve sound quality.

3. Can I build speakers without any prior experience?

Yes, it is possible to build speakers without prior experience. However, it is important to do thorough research and understand the basic principles of speaker building before starting the project. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started.

4. How much does it cost to build speakers?

The cost of building speakers can vary greatly depending on the materials and components used, as well as the complexity of the design. It is possible to build speakers on a budget, but higher quality components and materials may come at a higher cost.

5. Can I customize the design of my speakers?

Yes, one of the benefits of building your own speakers is the ability to customize the design to your preferences. You can choose the materials, size, shape, and components of your speakers to achieve your desired sound and aesthetic. However, it is important to consider the impact of these customizations on the overall sound quality.