Can anyone recommend a good geometry book?

In summary, If you are looking for a good geometry book, "Algebraic Geometry" by Hartshorne is recommended. If you want to start with Euclidean Geometry, "Geometry" by Serge Lang or "Elements" by Euclid are good options. "Introduction to Geometry" by Coxeter can be used as a second book. For preparation for math contests, "Geometry" by Harold Jacobs is recommended.
Miike012
Can anyone recommend a good geometry book?

Physics news on Phys.org

Algebraic geometry by Hartshorne.

If you want a better answer then you need to specify more. What kind of geometry?? Why do you need it?? What do you know already??

I have never taken a geometry class in my life so I would like to have some sort of knowledge about geometry, and I've heard that geometry is a good subject to have a good understanding in...

As far as "what type of geometry" I am not sure... can you suggest a good place to start?

OK, then I got three books for you

1) "Geometry" by Serge Lang. This is essentially a high school geometry book done right. It doesn't bother with two column proofs and other silly things. It treats geometry like it should be treated.

2) "Introduction to Geometry" by Coxeter. Maybe use this as a second book. It's very rich and offers an introduction to many different fields of geometry. It's not an actual textbook though, but more an introduction. Not suitable as first book.

3) "Elements" by Euclid. The very first geometry book and a standard for over 1000's of years. It is a recommended read to everybody: it develops geometry from scratch. However, you must be aware that there are some errors and omissions (for example coordinate geometry).

Thank you. I was also interested in taking my schools math contest next semester. I will be starting second semeste calculus. Do you know any good books that can prepare me for the types of questions math contests have?

Miike012 said:
As far as "what type of geometry" I am not sure... can you suggest a good place to start?

Probably with Euclidian Geometry? I've heard good things about the book by Harold Jacobs.

1. What are the key features to look for in a good geometry book?

A good geometry book should have clear explanations, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a variety of learning aids such as diagrams and illustrations. It should also cover a wide range of topics from basic concepts to more advanced ones.

2. Are there any specific authors or publishers known for producing high-quality geometry books?

Some popular authors and publishers known for their excellent geometry books include Euclid, David A. Adler, and McGraw-Hill. However, it ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style, so it's important to research and read reviews before choosing a book.

3. Can you recommend a good geometry book for beginners?

One highly recommended geometry book for beginners is "Geometry: A Comprehensive Course" by Dan Pedoe. It offers a thorough introduction to the subject with step-by-step explanations and a variety of exercises.

4. Is it necessary to purchase a physical copy of a geometry book, or are digital versions just as effective?

It depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people prefer physical copies for better visualization and note-taking, while others find digital versions more convenient and accessible. However, it's important to ensure that the digital version has all the necessary features and materials included.

5. Are there any online resources or websites that offer free geometry materials?

Yes, there are many websites and online resources that offer free geometry materials such as videos, practice problems, and worksheets. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Mathsisfun, and Geometry Playground.