What are entropy perturbations?

• Thread starter LalithP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, Lalith is self-studying cosmology and is having trouble understanding entropy perturbations and how they differ from adiabatic perturbations. They are defined as the class of perturbations that involve entropy changes, while adiabatic perturbations are isentropic. Lalith received an explanation from Angelos that helped clarify the concept, but also found a good explanation in a book by Gorbunov and Rubakov. Entropy perturbations occur when the composition of a medium becomes spatially inhomogeneous, but the sum of all components remains unchanged, resulting in no energy density fluctuations.
LalithP
Hi,

I am self studying cosmology with the help of some textbooks ( books by Dodelson, Mukhanov, ...) and somewhat struggling to figure out what it is really mean by entropy perturbations. How is it different from adiabatic perturbations. Any help to get a better intuitive understanding is greatly appreciated. Is there any reference it is better explained? Thanks -Lalith

Space news on Phys.org
Hi,

I can only offer my own thoughts based on some thermodynasmics, but the following seems very reasonable to me:

The class of pertubation you allready know is the adiabatic one. IF we assume reversibility, adiabatic processes are exactly isentropic (fixed entropy) ones. It makes therefore sense to divide the perturbations into two classes:

adiabatic (isentropic)
other (non isentropic) where entropy changes.

Furthermore, as δQ = TdS (for the reversible heat transfere δQ), every heat tranfere has to involve either temperature or entropy change. It makes therefore sense to decompose every non vanishing perturbation into:

ADIABATIC/ISENTROPIC part, necessarily non isothermal
ISOTHERMAL part, necessarily non-adiabatic

And in fact I think these are two complementary classes studied in cosmology.

I hope this helped,
Angelos

Thanks for the reply. I did further reading and think now have better understanding. Recent book(2) by Gorbunov and Rubakov has a good explanation (book 2 page 62). Entropy (also called isocurvature) perturbations happens when the medium has many components (radiation, dark matter baryons, etc), and the composition become spatially inhomogeneous. Energy density of eack component cloud vary but the but the sum of all the components stay unchanged. So no energy density fluctuations (so isocurvature) although the composition (thus entropy ) changes.

1. What is entropy perturbation?

Entropy perturbation is a measure of the uncertainty or disorder in a system, caused by a disturbance or change in the system. It can also be described as the measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. How is entropy perturbation different from entropy?

Entropy perturbation is a change in entropy, while entropy itself is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system at a specific time. Entropy perturbation takes into account the change in entropy over time due to a disturbance or change in the system.

3. What causes entropy perturbations?

Entropy perturbations can be caused by a variety of factors, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or chemical composition in a system. They can also be caused by external disturbances or changes in the environment.

4. How do entropy perturbations affect a system?

Entropy perturbations can affect a system in various ways. They can lead to changes in the system's stability, energy distribution, and overall behavior. In some cases, they can also lead to a decrease in the system's overall efficiency or ability to do work.

5. Can entropy perturbations be reversed?

In most cases, entropy perturbations cannot be reversed. This is because they represent the natural tendency of a system to move towards a state of maximum disorder or randomness. However, some systems may be able to reverse entropy perturbations through energy input or external intervention.