Are There Criteria for Proving Co-Primes of Vectors?

• Thread starter phynewb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of coprime vectors, which are vectors that do not have any common factors. The use of determinants is suggested as a method to prove coprimality, with the condition that the determinant has no prime factors. The conversation also touches on generalizations for higher dimensions and number of vectors.
phynewb
Hi guys

I have a question about the coprime of two vectors
For two vectors (x1,x2) and (y1,y2).
Given a,b with gcf (a,b)=1 .i.e. relatively prime.
I do the linear combination of two vectors
a(x1,x2)+b(y1,y2)=n(z1,z2) with some common factor n and gcf(z1,z2)=1.
If n=1 for any a,b, two vectors are said co-prime.
I wonder if any criteria to prove two vectors are coprime.
For example, (2,3),(1,3) are not coprime b/c (2,3)+(1,3)=3(1,2).
But (7,3),(2,1) are coprime b/c a(7,3)+b(2,1)=(7a+2b,3a+b) and gcf(7a+2b,3a+b)=gcf(a,3a+b)=gcf(a,b)=1.
Also how to generalize it to vectors with n components?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I havnt checked the details, but such problems screem for the use of the determinant formed by the x's and y's, and can then also be generalized immediately. I guess the condition is that this determinant has no prime factors, that is being 1 or -1. Any prime factor p would allow a nontrivial relation ax+by=0 over F_p, which then lifts to show a relation with gcd(z_1,z_2)=p. Tell me if that works out.

Thanks Norwegian!
I think you are almost right. But (4,-3) and (3,-4) are coprime but with det=7 will be a counter example. If we consider higher dimensions, are (2,-1,2,-1) and (-4,1,4,-1) co-prime? Do you know how to show it rigorously?

(4,-3) + (3,-4) is divisible by 7, so they are not coprime. The sum of your other vectors is divisible by 2, so they are also not coprime. My guesses for generalizations: n vectors in n-space, determinant = 1 or -1. Two vectors in n-space, set of all 2x2 minors coprime, m<n vectors in n-space, all mxm minors coprime.

I type the wrong vectors. I consider the two (-1,0,3,-1) and (-3,1,1,0). Are they coprime? I think you are right but I do not know how to prove it. Thank you!

Yes, those vectors are coprime. You only need to look at the last two components.

1. What does it mean for vectors to be co-prime?

Two vectors are co-prime if they have no common factors other than 1. In other words, their components (or entries) are relatively prime.

2. How do you prove that two vectors are co-prime?

To prove that two vectors are co-prime, you can use the Euclidean algorithm to find the greatest common divisor (GCD) of their components. If the GCD is 1, then the vectors are co-prime.

3. Why is proving that vectors are co-prime important in mathematics?

Proving that vectors are co-prime is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and make certain mathematical operations easier. It also has applications in fields such as cryptography and number theory.

4. Can vectors with negative components be co-prime?

Yes, vectors with negative components can still be co-prime. The sign of the components does not affect their relative primality.

5. Are there any shortcuts or rules for determining if vectors are co-prime?

Yes, there are some rules that can help determine if vectors are co-prime without using the Euclidean algorithm. For example, if the first component of one vector is not a multiple of the first component of the other vector, and the same goes for the second components, then the vectors are co-prime.