Prometheus (WARNING: SPOILERS)

• Thread starter fonz
  • Start date
In summary, the film is about a group of scientists who go to a distant planet to study an alien spacecraft. They find out that the spacecraft is from a different planet and that the aliens on the planet are trying to create life. There are different versions of the same creature in the film, and the end of the film has the scientists trying to stop the aliens from creating life.

arildno said:
It is an Alien prequel, or tries to be. It seek to prove darwinism wrong (we were spliced together by an alien master race, who later on decided to kill us off by creating monsters. The monsters turned on the masers).
A cross seems to be important, too

For that matter, why would biologists open up their spacesuits and expose themselves to an alien biosphere just because the air was breathable. I would say the guy deserved to be burnt, but everyone followed his example.

Basically, the crew didn't exhibit enough intelligence to be on that type of expedition - or else the old man was attracted to the ideas of dysfunctional crackpots, which pretty much ensured the scientists he brought along would do dumb things.

The medical cabinet thing could have been done better (also I don't understand why it was just programmed for men if the person who owned it is a woman), it's meant to be used by one (presumably sick) person so you'd hope the machine could medicate by itself. It was sort of implied that the surgery was using quite advanced technology by sealing her tissue before stapling it but that's not really gone over.

The medical cabinet was for the old man. In fact, the whole expedition was designed for the old man, in spite of his daughter running the show.

Physics news on Phys.org

BobG said:
For that matter, why would biologists open up their spacesuits and expose themselves to an alien biosphere just because the air was breathable. I would say the guy deserved to be burnt, but everyone followed his example.

Basically, the crew didn't exhibit enough intelligence to be on that type of expedition - or else the old man was attracted to the ideas of dysfunctional crackpots, which pretty much ensured the scientists he brought along would do dumb things.
And as if a biologist would use the term "darwinism" rather than "evolution" and limit their protest to a mere token sentance.

We saw it yesterday afternoon (there were maybe 50 people in the 300 seat theater). The sensory experience of the IMAX 3D was cool. The movie, visually and auditorally (that is, the music and sound effects, not the dialogue), was cool -- and that was the level on which I enjoyed it. I'd give it about a 5 on a ten point scale.

One of the things that sticks in my mind is, as others have mentioned, everybody being so quick to take their helmets off.

Ironically it's often the contrivances that filmmakers use to gain a wide audience that ensure that their films won't have as wide an audience as they might have had they not used the contrivances.

They did a great job marketing this though. I wonder if they'll break even on their investment.

Last edited:
ThomasT said:
One of the things that sticks in my mind is, as others have mentioned, everybody being so quick to take their helmets off.
This is a common thing in films, I guess because film makers (proably correctly) that an audience will relate less to characters hidden behind masks. Though having said that the helmets in prometheus were large glass bubbles so...

The worst example of mask removing in a film that springs to my mind is the first Resident Evil film. In it a group of special forces types bust into a mansion that hides a train station leading to a secret underground research facility. The facility, station and mansion have all been flooded with gas at some point killing most people. Within seconds of busting through the mansion windows one of them waves a sensor around and declares the air contains only residual gas, they remove their gas masks and keep them off never bothering to worry that the sealed underground facilities could still contain gas nor that the severe case of zombies possibly would warrent protecting oneself from airborne contaminants :uhh: my willing suspension of disbelief quickly collapsed

From what I'm reading, Prometheus is going to lose lots of money. I think that's fitting. Scott could have made a great movie. Instead he made a mediocre movie (albeit with some great special effects). Oh well.

bugatti79 said:
in many light years time

Seriously? I know this is GD, but this is still a Physics forum, you know? :tongue:

The movie had an awesome setting and amazing visual effects, but it was ruined by a genuinely stupid script imo. (I don't mean thematically. I mean some of the decisions made by the characters were laughably stupid, and they ruined the movie for me.)

Last edited:
nucl34rgg said:
The movie had an awesome setting and amazing visual effects, but it was ruined by a genuinely stupid script imo. (I don't mean thematically. I mean some of the decisions made by the characters were laughably stupid, and they ruined the movie for me.)
I agree. In fact, the more I think about this movie (I saw it in IMAX 3D and loved the visual and sound effects) the more I want to give it a lower rating than I previously did. It's currently down to a 4 out of 10, imho.

Just way too many silly, imo, contrivances written into the screenplay. Quite disappointing on that level.

SPOILERS
Ryan_m_b said:
arildno said:
5. How did a tiny tentacle creep, securely locked in a room without access to food suddenly grow into gargantuan proportions??
This annoyed me too. I consolled mysdself by assuming it ate the chair.

Umm...you guys have seen the original Alien, have you not? If so, then why wouldn't it bother you just as much that the chest burster grew into an adult xenomorph in a matter of hours with no apparent source of nutrients? And if you did see it, and it did bother you at the time, why sound so surprised about more of the same?

arildno said:
Hmm..let's see, for STARTERS:
3. Why did the android infect Dr. Holloway with some blood drop?

Here's a kind of joke explanation that went through my mind:

David: "Hmm, I wonder if this black ooze coming out of these canisters might be a serum that will give Weyland the immortality he seeks? I will find out what it it does by testing it on one of the humans.

Holloway: "Gaaaaaarrrrrgggggh!"

David: "I guess not."

arildno said:
4. How, and on what basis, did the captain suddenly realize that everything was a military installation and factory for producing biological weapons?

I assumed that he were merely speculating based on the information at hand, and the audience was not necessarily meant to assume that he was right, although the fact that they were heading to Earth with a cargo hold full of the stuff, ostensibly to erase their creation, sort of lends credence to his theory of biological weapons.

I think Ryan_m_b has addressed most of your other points. The plot of the movie was definitely its weakest part, but I thought the film had other merits.

Ryan_m_b said:
I've read in multiple interviews that it wasn't meant to be alien, It's meant to be it's own thing loosely linked.

Yeah, regarding the aesthetic, I also read that they had to use brighter lighting to accommodate the 3D cameras, and then added the characteristic gloom and shadows in post production. The human's ship may not have been as dark and claustrophobic as in the original film, but I thought that the Engineers' facility certainly was very Giger-esque (makes sense considering that he worked on it and that they were trying to duplicate the same type of chambers where the original "space jockey" was seen).

You want to talk about plot flaws? If the Engineers' civilization is still around (as implied by Shaw going to seek them out at the end), then why didn't they get around to wiping out humanity as they apparently planned to? And if they forgot or just decided not to, then wouldn't it be a really BAD idea to remind them of their plan and draw their attention back to Earth and humanity again by going to seek them out on their homeworld? I read that one reviewer criticized the characters in this movie for not having common sense and not being pragmatic, and I agree 100%. What's more, what the hell is Shaw going to eat on her interstellar journey? It seems like, after beating the odds and expending so much effort to try and survive, her best move would have been to go back home so that her efforts weren't in vain.

cepheid said:
Umm...you guys have seen the original Alien, have you not? If so, then why wouldn't it bother you just as much that the chest burster grew into an adult xenomorph in a matter of hours with no apparent source of nutrients?
Yeah, I saw it in a movie theatre in 1979. Made no sense. But just like Prometheus, a cool visual experience. My current opinion: Ridley Scott makes visually arresting yet idiotic scifi movies. He's definitely not the one who will make the definitive (wrt, realistic mise en scene, plot, dialogue, etc.) scifi movie.

cepheid said:
Here's a kind of joke explanation that went through my mind:

David: "Hmm, I wonder if this black ooze coming out of these canisters might be a serum that will give Weyland the immortality he seeks? I will find out what it it does by testing it on one of the humans.

Holloway: "Gaaaaaarrrrrgggggh!"

David: "I guess not."
Actually, this action by David isn't nearly as silly as, eg., the guys in the alien structure making nice with the snakelike thing that emerged from the black ooze.

It's conceivable that he's been programmed to put Weyland's interests foremost. Holloway is just a biological experimental medium. Ie., you have an empirical question -- only one way to find the answer.

cepheid said:
You want to talk about plot flaws? If the Engineers' civilization is still around (as implied by Shaw going to seek them out at the end), then why didn't they get around to wiping out humanity as they apparently planned to?
Good point. One might conjecture that the being that the humans encountered, and the being in the beginning of the movie, were actually artificial life forms, ie., bioengineered robots, like David, but on a much more sophisticated level.

cepheid said:
And if they forgot or just decided not to, then wouldn't it be a really BAD idea to remind them of their plan and draw their attention back to Earth and humanity again by going to seek them out on their homeworld?
Shaw going to the alien planet with the help of David's head makes as little sense as dozens of other things in the movie. But it is a precursor to a sequel, which probably won't happen if this one loses as much money as I think it will.

cepheid said:
I read that one reviewer criticized the characters in this movie for not having common sense and not being pragmatic, and I agree 100%.
It's not EVEN that their behavior isn't commonsensical. They behave absolutely stupidly at times. Despite the great visuals and sound, the screenplay made this movie a less than satisfactory experience ... wrt my expectations.

cepheid said:
What's more, what the hell is Shaw going to eat on her interstellar journey? It seems like, after beating the odds and expending so much effort to try and survive, her best move would have been to go back home so that her efforts weren't in vain.
Yes. That would have made sense. But the movie doesn't make sense. It's not just that there are unanswered questions that remain for the audience to speculate about. The problem is that the people who made the movie, although quite skilled in the craft of movie making, apparently aren't especially smart or knowledgeable otherwise. They're going to lose a LOT of money on this one -- essentially, I think, because the prevailing wisdom in movieland regarding realistic scifi films and their prospective audiences is a bit off the mark.

ThomasT said:
They're going to lose a LOT of money on this one -- essentially, I think, because the prevailing wisdom in movieland regarding realistic scifi films and their prospective audiences is a bit off the mark.
According to Wikipedia the film has already made $30 million profit. Considering the long build up and dedicated marketing it's not surprising.

Ryan_m_b said:
According to Wikipedia the film has already made $30 million profit. Considering the long build up and dedicated marketing it's not surprising.
My understanding is that the break even point for a big budget film is generally about two times the reported production cost. If that's the case with Prometheus, then it's still about $100 million in the red.

It all fit together nicely for me and made sense.

The black stuff is not a weapon it's a "life bullion". That's why it's all over Earth's cave paintings. When the Engineers came here millions of years after seeding primordial Earth (opening scene) they were explaining to us where we come from, hence the cave paintings.

The large human head in the room with the vials of seed indicate that that room's juice was meant to (or had) produced that particular being.

The alien is not alien-like but worm-like because the goo leaked and hit some worms (shown in movie). Apparently the goo takes whatever DNA it hits and aggressively rearranges it using some unknown parameters.

When the worm-alien ate the Engineer, it continued the process of absorbing and modifying genetic data. Hence the conversion from wormlike to head-like. Presumably in future prequals it will encounter insects. If you watch the TV show "Monster Bug Wars" you'll see the bases for the alien we all know and love.

The rest all made sense too but I have to go eat breakfast now :)

Last edited:
Done with breakfast.

As for the why the revived Engineer was hostile; there could be many explanations taken from our own experience. An advanced race has to have advanced politics and advanced revolutions.

Here are just the obvious ones that come to mind:

1) He's part of a terrorist organization bent on destroying the works of his own civilization. This fits with the holographic accident showing how they failed in their mission; they broke into this place to steal the goo so they could wipe the Earth out. But they screwed up, it got loose, and their mission failed. Not much different than a plot for flying jets into skyscrapers.

2) They've decided we've gone ugly as a species and time to press the reset button. Not likely they'd feel that way but fits in with all the other low-grade "man is bad" morality plays eminating from Hollywood.

This movie has its weaknesses but I think it will be treated more kindly over time, much like Bladerunner- a movie almost universally panned by critics and drawing a lot of "huh?"s from moviegoers.

Antiphon said:
The alien is not alien-like but worm-like because the goo leaked and hit some worms (shown in movie). Apparently the goo takes whatever DNA it hits and aggressively rearranges it using some unknown parameters.

I'm not sure about the rest of your theories, but I think that this was a good catch, as was your catch about the Engineers seeding the oceans with the primordial soup (although Ryan_m_b pointed this out first)

at the very beginning of the film, when they showed the weird white alien guy right off the bat, I got a bit of a sinking feeling.

I think the movie was too much on the side of just throwing things in our faces. And I also felt that some of the decisions made by the people (namely the captain and the two bridge guys deciding the fly into the other alien ship) were a bit confusing.

I give it a... C to B. I really wanted it to be an A+++. Oh well.

There are more layers to this onion.

I believe Weylands 's daughter is a robot. She never showed true anger or humor. When the captain's gut instinct was that she may be a robot he was right. And when she "challenged" him to meet her in her cabin that clinched it- a real person would have taken the question as an insult. An undercover robot that's fully functional would have done exactly what she did to maintain her cover. His real daughter is back home waiting to take over the company. If the mission hadn't gone south it's pretty clear to me she (the robot) was there to make sure the old man never came home.

Where all these holographic visions come from? They appear to magically pop up and vanish out of nowhere.

I just it yesterday, and I have to ask, was this supposed to be the direct prequel to Alien? I would hope not given several major continuity problems.

Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma
It was a good movie, but it left me confused. There are so many unanswered questions.

This movie is suppose to be a prequel to the Alien movies?
It is not a prequel to Alien but they stories are related in the same scifi universe. A lot of people miss this and expect another Alien/Aliens.
arildno said:
1. What was the relevance of the opening scene and the portentious drinking from a cup? No eplanation was given.
The most popular theory is that the Engineer sacrificed himself (his DNA) to terraform a planet. It's suspected the planet was Earth. The movie was full of open endings and little explanations, which is part of the appeal. Some people want the movies to spell everything out and they get mad when they are incited to think.
arildno said:
2. What was the relevance of Daddy Shaw dying from the Ebola virus?? OR Dr. Shaw's childhood memories in general?
IMO, the childhood memories were just character building. The reference to Ebola was a tie-in. Her Dad died of a virus and she (hinted by David) was going to die of a alien “virus.”
arildno said:
3. Why did the android infect Dr. Holloway with some blood drop?
This was explained in an earlier post, and better explained HERE. Also, did you notice that David asked him a series of questions before he dipped the alien goo into his wine glass from his finger tip? I suspect that Holloway’s answers were going to sway David one way or another. OR, David’s own questions to him were his own: “How far would you be willing to go to find your answers? What would you be willing to do?” David was willing to go all the way and sacrifice one of his own members (Holloway) to find his answers.
arildno said:
4. How, and on what basis, did the captain suddenly realize that everything was a military installation and factory for producing biological weapons?
Nobody knows for sure. The military installation and bio-weapon statement is just theory given by the pilot. A lot people think the explanation (even if the general assumption is wrong) was given just to solidify the story/plot.
arildno said:
5. How did a tiny tentacle creep, securely locked in a room without access to food suddenly grow into gargantuan proportions??
An acid-based organism is allowed greater expansion based on gases, not muscle and skeletal tissue like humans (which can only grow based on consuming other matter, i.e. food). Just kidding, I don’t have an freaking clue.
arildno said:
6. Why did a military installation "hide" a spaceship beneath a big mound shaped like a head?? Why not just as some unobstrusive boulder?
Good question. This is why I think the planet may have been a burial ground for the alien virus, not a bio-weapon facility. Maybe the engineers there were wardens to ensure the "prisoner" alien goo didn't escape. This gives another theory as to why the Engineer flipped out when he was woken up.
arildno said:
7. How did the geologist become imbued with superman powers after infection, while the biologist just died?? Why didn't Holloway develop superman powers?
I suspect Holloway, if allowed to die, would have ended up just like the geologist: alien zombie. Remember when they amplified the engineer head back on the ship? The “virus” just took over and *splat*
arildno said:
8. Didn't Prometheus even have metal detectors to find out that the whole ground was a huge launching pad, or something??
You would think so right?

I have tons of questions too, all subject to interpretation. I would also like to know what the deal was with the big head statue and the alien murals on the wall.
__________________Copy and pasted from another forum I am a member of.

Last edited by a moderator:
alba_ei said:
Where all these holographic visions come from? They appear to magically pop up and vanish out of nowhere.

They would seem to be part of the facility's data system but clearly aged and in disrepair. The idea is you walk into a facility where there's been a catastrophic industrial accident. Rather that pour over computer logs and movies at a console, the facility simply shows you what happened and where in 3D. The quality is poor because the technology is very old and only marginally functional.

aquitaine said:
I just it yesterday, and I have to ask, was this supposed to be the direct prequel to Alien? I would hope not given several major continuity problems.

It's a distant prequal. It's like watching Star Wars Episode 1 after episode 6. You don't yet see the genesis of the Alien in the form we know it but it's going to happen, just like you didn't see the creation of Darth Vader as we knew him in episodes 3-6.

Antiphon said:
There are more layers to this onion.

I believe Weylands 's daughter is a robot. She never showed true anger or humor. When the captain's gut instinct was that she may be a robot he was right. And when she "challenged" him to meet her in her cabin that clinched it- a real person would have taken the question as an insult. An undercover robot that's fully functional would have done exactly what she did to maintain her cover. His real daughter is back home waiting to take over the company. If the mission hadn't gone south it's pretty clear to me she (the robot) was there to make sure the old man never came home.

she showed true terror, though, right before she was crushed. IIRC Ash and Bishop from Alien and Aliens never showed terror either.

Antiphon said:
It's a distant prequal. It's like watching Star Wars Episode 1 after episode 6. You don't yet see the genesis of the Alien in the form we know it but it's going to happen, just like you didn't see the creation of Darth Vader as we knew him in episodes 3-6.

It's like Episode 1 in more ways than that! >D >D :D :D :D

This is why I think the planet may have been a burial ground for the alien virus, not a bio -weapon facility.
This and the military installation hypothesis beg the question as to why its location was in various ancient star maps instead of the aliens' home planet.

Prometheus was very good! Folks, don't believe the complainers!

It doesn't make sense to accuse the movie of "plot flaws", since the movie is clearly intended as a kind of puzzle.

One theory is that in the beginning the engineers created life with a sacrifice ritual, but it could also be that the creation of life was accidental, the main purpose of the sacrifice being an execution of some dissident or criminal.

It could be that the engineers in the beginning were not as advanced as the engineers later in the film. Perhaps they were messing around with stuff they didn't understand?

The origin of the cave paintings seems little mysterious, considering the sacrifice scene in the beginning, and the hostility of the engineer later in the film. One possibility is that the cave paintings were instructed by some third humanoid party, and were not an invitation. Perhaps some third humanoid party attempted to deliver a warning message: "That's where your creators are, and that's where your death will eventually come from".

jostpuur said:
One theory is that in the beginning the engineers created life with a sacrifice ritual, but it could also be that the creation of life was accidental, the main purpose of the sacrifice being an execution of some dissident or criminal.
I'm short on time but a quick point about this; the idea that an incredibly human like organism could dissolve itself into a primordial soup and then billions of years later a near identical sentient species evolved is ludicrous to the extent that my suspension of disbelief is ruined.

Take a look at the name folks...Prometheus, and look to the myth of Prometheus. In the myth, Prometheus made mankind out of clay and stole fire from the gods, giving it to mankind. As an allegory, Prometheus was an archetype for the quest for scientific knowledge and truth.

So, take this and place it within the conext of the movie. Here's my theory.

The Engineer at the beginning is a terrorist who opposes his militaristic civilzation's use of the bio-weapon (the black ooze) that causes drastic mutations in other species (but not their own species probably). He takes some of this and seeds life on earth. Keep in mind, only a little bit of the ooze managed to create an antire planet (i.e., earth) full of life. The ship at the beginning are his "comrades" who are also part of the terrorist organization.

Cut to the evoluation of mankind (yes, a big glass of BS to swallow unless you also assume that all the mass extinctions throughout history were also engineered so as to get life to the point where humans could evolve), and the terrorist engineers visit ancient cultures to both warn them of the military installation (the one on the star maps) as well as prepare us when we eventually develop the scientific knowledge to become what we were meant to be - a weapon to be used against the engineer's civilization.

Of course, in the meantime, the civilization has collapsed under its own weight, or due to their bio-weapon getting out of control (as is shown by the drastic and rapid evolution of the worms and of the geologist when exposed to concentrated amounts of the ooze). My guess is there were other military installations as well. The other planets that were shown in the bridge of the alien ship were other planets the terrorists had also seeded (and most probably destoyed by these other military installations). The crashed ship in Alien was such a world where the ooze got out of the military's control (remember in the first Alien, Ash stated the xenomorph was a "perfect" organism because it was so adaptable in the way it propogated the species). Fortunately (for us) the military never managed to get to Earth before their own creation destroyed them.

Now, were there plot holes in this one - definitely, especially in the stupidity of some of the characters. If the geologist was so expert at mapping, how did he get lost? But "playing" with the small wormlike creatures by the biologist is perfectly natural. After all (if I were thinking like him and not aware I was in a movie where I'm expendable under seemingly contrived cirumstances), it's small, I'm in a protective suit (I have my helmet on at that time), so what harm is there in examining the tiny little creature. I have no idea that a) it's bigger than it appears; b) it's composed of mostly muscular fibers (otherwise, how did it break an arm?); and ) it has acid for blood.

I could go on, but you understand what I mean. I think some people didn;t like the movie because it didn't answer any questions and made you come up with answers yourself.

I feel cheated.

Borek said:
I feel cheated.

It was a horridity and a frightfulness.

I know it's a bit late but this is a very interesting review
http://freethoughtblogs.com/axp/2012/06/10/prometheus-pandering-to-anti-science/

Ryan_m_b said:
I know it's a bit late but this is a very interesting review
http://freethoughtblogs.com/axp/2012/06/10/prometheus-pandering-to-anti-science/

They behave in such stupid and illogical ways you wonder how they qualified for the job of traveling to an uncharted world on a voyage funded by the biggest corporation on Earth in the first place.

Couldn't say it better.

Looks like I made a good decision to wait for this on DVD. Any word on a sequel?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks like I made a good decision to wait for this on DVD. Any word on a sequel?

I've only heard from secondary sources that they heard that there will probably be a sequel.

Saw Prometheus last night on DVD. I´m extremely thankful I didn't go to the theater because the movie looks like a super long Three Stooges chapter. Or perhaps Moe, Larry and Curly had more brains than the characters in Prometheus. I can hardly believe the same Ridley Scott shot Alien or Blade Runner.

<h2>What is the plot of Prometheus?</h2><p>The plot of Prometheus follows a team of scientists who embark on a journey to a distant moon in search of the origin of humanity. They discover a mysterious structure and encounter a powerful alien species known as the Engineers. As they uncover the truth about their own origins, they must battle for their survival and the fate of humanity.</p><h2>Who are the Engineers in Prometheus?</h2><p>The Engineers are an advanced alien species who are believed to be the creators of humanity. They are highly intelligent and possess advanced technology, but their motives and intentions towards humanity are unclear. Some speculate that they created humans as a biological weapon, while others believe they may have created humans out of love.</p><h2>What is the black goo in Prometheus?</h2><p>The black goo, also known as the "pathogen", is a substance created by the Engineers that has the power to create and destroy life. It is capable of mutating and altering DNA, and can be used as a weapon. In the film, it is responsible for creating the Xenomorphs and causing the downfall of the Engineers.</p><h2>Is Prometheus a prequel to Alien?</h2><p>Yes, Prometheus is considered a prequel to the Alien franchise. It is set in the same universe and explores the origins of the Xenomorphs and the Space Jockey creature seen in the original Alien film. However, it is not a direct prequel and has its own unique storyline.</p><h2>What is the meaning of the ending of Prometheus?</h2><p>The ending of Prometheus is open to interpretation, but it is believed to symbolize the cycle of life and death. The surviving characters, Elizabeth Shaw and the android David, leave the moon in search of the Engineers' home planet, hoping to find answers about humanity's origins. The final shot shows the birth of a new Xenomorph, hinting at the continuation of the cycle of creation and destruction.</p>

What is the plot of Prometheus?

The plot of Prometheus follows a team of scientists who embark on a journey to a distant moon in search of the origin of humanity. They discover a mysterious structure and encounter a powerful alien species known as the Engineers. As they uncover the truth about their own origins, they must battle for their survival and the fate of humanity.

Who are the Engineers in Prometheus?

The Engineers are an advanced alien species who are believed to be the creators of humanity. They are highly intelligent and possess advanced technology, but their motives and intentions towards humanity are unclear. Some speculate that they created humans as a biological weapon, while others believe they may have created humans out of love.

What is the black goo in Prometheus?

The black goo, also known as the "pathogen", is a substance created by the Engineers that has the power to create and destroy life. It is capable of mutating and altering DNA, and can be used as a weapon. In the film, it is responsible for creating the Xenomorphs and causing the downfall of the Engineers.

Is Prometheus a prequel to Alien?

Yes, Prometheus is considered a prequel to the Alien franchise. It is set in the same universe and explores the origins of the Xenomorphs and the Space Jockey creature seen in the original Alien film. However, it is not a direct prequel and has its own unique storyline.

What is the meaning of the ending of Prometheus?

The ending of Prometheus is open to interpretation, but it is believed to symbolize the cycle of life and death. The surviving characters, Elizabeth Shaw and the android David, leave the moon in search of the Engineers' home planet, hoping to find answers about humanity's origins. The final shot shows the birth of a new Xenomorph, hinting at the continuation of the cycle of creation and destruction.