How and why do the anticonvulsant work for bipolar?

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, anticonvulsants have been shown to be effective in managing bipolar disorder, particularly with the manic pole. They work by either inhibiting voltage-sensitive sodium channels or boosting the actions of GABA. Additionally, they may also play a role in regulating the glutamatergic system. Lithium is still considered the best option for managing the depressive pole, but anticonvulsants like lamotrigine are also promising in this regard. Generally, lithium is used in combination with an anticonvulsant for optimal results.
nukeman
I do not quite understand How and why do the anticonvulsant work for bipolar?

Can anyone explain this for me in any detail? From what I can see, there are 2 possible ways they work for bipolar.

1) inhibiting voltage-sensitive sodium channels
2) Boosting the actions of GABA

Anyone have a detailed ex[lanation?

Biology news on Phys.org
nukeman said:
I do not quite understand How and why do the anticonvulsant work for bipolar?

Can anyone explain this for me in any detail? From what I can see, there are 2 possible ways they work for bipolar.

1) inhibiting voltage-sensitive sodium channels
2) Boosting the actions of GABA

Anyone have a detailed ex[lanation?

You seem to have a handle on the subject, so I tried to find a recent review article. This article (Jan 2012) should be helpful. Essentially, a number of anticonvulsants qualify as "mood stabilizers" which have proven effective in managing BD, particularly with the manic pole. However, lithium still seems to be the best option for managing the depressive pole (when anti-depressants are not specifically called for) although the anticonvulsant lamotrigine is promising in this regard. Valproate, for example, reduces high frequency action potential firing through the inactivation of voltage gated sodium channels and indirectly enhances GABA. The glutamatergic system is also important and lithium appears to act at CA1 area receptors in the hippocampus, a part of the limbic system which is involved with emotion and mood. Valproate and lamotrigine seem to be involved in the clearance of glutamate.

As rule lithium would be used together with an anticonvulsant.

http://download.cell.com/trends/neurosciences/pdf/PIIS0166223611001962.pdf?intermediate=true

Last edited:

1. How do anticonvulsant drugs work for bipolar disorder?

Anticonvulsant drugs work by targeting and regulating the levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, such as dopamine, serotonin, and glutamate. These neurotransmitters are believed to play a role in the development of bipolar disorder symptoms, and anticonvulsants help to stabilize their levels, reducing mood swings and other symptoms.

2. Why are anticonvulsant drugs used to treat bipolar disorder?

Anticonvulsant drugs are used to treat bipolar disorder because they have been shown to effectively reduce the severity and frequency of manic and depressive episodes. They are also less likely to cause severe side effects compared to other medications commonly used to treat bipolar disorder.

3. How long does it take for anticonvulsant drugs to work for bipolar disorder?

The time it takes for anticonvulsant drugs to work for bipolar disorder can vary depending on the individual and the specific medication being used. In general, it may take a few weeks to see an improvement in symptoms, but it can take up to several months for the full effects to be felt.

4. What are the common side effects of anticonvulsant drugs for bipolar disorder?

Common side effects of anticonvulsant drugs for bipolar disorder may include dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, and weight changes. It is important to discuss any potential side effects with your doctor and to report any severe or concerning symptoms.

5. How do anticonvulsant drugs compare to other treatments for bipolar disorder?

Anticonvulsant drugs are just one type of medication used to treat bipolar disorder. They may be used alone or in combination with other medications, such as mood stabilizers or antidepressants. The effectiveness of anticonvulsants may vary from person to person, and it is important to work closely with your doctor to find the best treatment plan for your individual needs.