Are Matrix Multiplication Rules the Same for Composing Linear Transformations?

In summary, it is possible to compose linear transformations, but the composition only makes sense if the dimensions of the input and output matrices are the same.
1MileCrash
So as I'm preparing for finals, I'm wondering:

The multiplication of two matrices is only defined under special circumstances regarding the dimensions of the matrices.

Doesn't that require that compositions of linear transformations are only defined in the same circumstances? I can't imagine not being able to not define a composition of linear transformations, can someone demonstrate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]f:V\to W[/itex] and [itex]g:X\to Y[/itex] are linear transformations, it only makes sense to talk about the composition [itex]g\circ f[/itex] if [itex]W=X[/itex]. In particular, if [itex]f:\mathbb R^K \to \mathbb R^L[/itex] and [itex]g:\mathbb R^J \to \mathbb R^I[/itex] are linear transformations, it only makes sense to talk about the composition [itex]g\circ f[/itex] if [itex]\mathbb R^L=\mathbb R^J[/itex], i.e. if [itex]L=J.[/itex]

Phrasing the last point a different way now: If [itex]F[/itex] is an [itex]L\times K[/itex] matrix and [itex]G[/itex] is an [itex]I\times J[/itex] matrix, it only makes sense to talk about the matrix product [itex]GF[/itex] if [itex]L=J[/itex].

So the matrix dimension rule you learned is really there exactly because only certain functions can be composed. The expression [itex]g\circ f[/itex] only has meaning if the outputs of [itex]f[/itex] are valid inputs for [itex]g[/itex].

Likes 1 person
1MileCrash said:
So as I'm preparing for finals, I'm wondering:

The multiplication of two matrices is only defined under special circumstances regarding the dimensions of the matrices.

Doesn't that require that compositions of linear transformations are only defined in the same circumstances? I can't imagine not being able to not define a composition of linear transformations, can someone demonstrate this?

If A is an m X n matrix, and B is an n X p matrix, then the product AB is defined, and will be an m X p matrix.

A linear transformation TA: Rn → Rm takes vectors from Rn and maps them to vectors in Rm. A matrix for TA will by m X n. Think about how TB would have to be defined (in terms of its domain and codomain) so that the composition TA ° TB would make sense. It might be helpful to use constants for the dimensions.

Likes 1 person
Crystal clear, thanks you two.

Yes, the multiplication of two matrices is only defined under certain conditions, specifically when the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. This is known as the matrix multiplication rule and it is essential for performing operations on matrices.

In terms of linear transformations, the same concept applies. The composition of two linear transformations can only be defined when the dimensions of the transformations match up in a certain way. This is because the composition of linear transformations is essentially the multiplication of their corresponding matrices.

For example, if we have a transformation T1 that maps from a 3-dimensional space to a 2-dimensional space and a transformation T2 that maps from a 2-dimensional space to a 4-dimensional space, their composition T1 ∘ T2 would not be defined since the dimensions do not match up (3-dimensional output from T1 and 4-dimensional input for T2).

In terms of demonstration, you can try to compose two linear transformations with mismatched dimensions and see that the resulting transformation is not defined. This highlights the importance of understanding the matrix multiplication rule and its application in linear transformations.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and understand geometric transformations in vector spaces.

2. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, determinants, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are used to solve problems related to linear transformations and data analysis.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a matrix?

A vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers, while a matrix is a two-dimensional array of numbers. Vectors are used to represent quantities with magnitude and direction, while matrices are used to represent linear transformations.

4. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used for data analysis, image processing, machine learning, and solving complex systems of equations.

5. What are some applications of linear algebra in computer science?

Linear algebra is used in computer graphics to represent and manipulate images, in data compression to reduce the size of large datasets, and in machine learning algorithms such as linear regression and principal component analysis.