Significance Of Fermi Level in Semiconductor

by physio
Tags: fermi, semiconductor, significance
physio
Dec6-13, 07:27 PM
P: 55
I understood that the fermi level is a hypothetical energy level given by the Fermi-Dirac distribution where the probability of finding an electron is exactly 50%. My question is: it always takes (Ec-Ev) energy to excite the electrons in the conduction band in an intrinsic semiconductor or (Ec-Ed), (Ec-Ea) for extrinsic semiconductors then what is the usefulness of knowing the Fermi level in the semiconductor? Why can't we do without the Fermi level.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Modification of structural composite materials to create tailored lenses
Novel technique opens door to better solar cells
Probing metal solidification nondestructively
Simon Bridge
Dec7-13, 01:38 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 10,916
Look at InAs-GaSb junction. Here you have a confined electron and hole gasses very close to each other.
iirc. The electron and hole states are filled to the fermi level on both sides of the junction.

Mostly it is a useful benchmark to compare things with - useful when designing and modelling semiconductor devices.
hokhani
Dec7-13, 06:24 AM
P: 241
Quote Quote by physio View Post
I understood that the fermi level is a hypothetical energy level given by the Fermi-Dirac distribution where the probability of finding an electron is exactly 50%. My question is: it always takes (Ec-Ev) energy to excite the electrons in the conduction band in an intrinsic semiconductor or (Ec-Ed), (Ec-Ea) for extrinsic semiconductors then what is the usefulness of knowing the Fermi level in the semiconductor? Why can't we do without the Fermi level.
As an example when you connect a N-type semiconductor to a p-type one (with less Fermi energy), the carriers would move from one to another until their Fermi level become the same.You can read semiconductor device books to see further applications of Fermi energy.

physio
Dec7-13, 06:56 AM
P: 55

Significance Of Fermi Level in Semiconductor

Thanks for your replies!!

Register to reply