Think Infinite and not the finite

In summary, people are afraid of infinity because they don't understand it and math people are used to it. It's also a natural fear because people live in a world where the size of elementary particles and the speed of light are incomprehensibly large. Even though people can quantitise these factors in terms of things which are familiar to them, their respective orders are so small/big that they can get the better of us sometimes. Risk benefit analysis agrees that it makes sense to buy one lottery ticket now and again.
ElectroPhysics
Why every one is so afraid from the term infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because it has three eyes?

Naah, it is scaly and green and lives in a swamp.
Besides, it slurps a lot.

I'm not a big fan of the cars and their commercials really get on my nerves.

russ_watters said:

Not as bad as the Sport Ka commercial where the car cut the head off a cat with the sun roof.

russ_watters said:

The car is infiniti not infinity :rofl: :rofl:

I wouldn't mind owning a G35 though :approve:

ElectroPhysics said:
Why every one is so afraid from the term infinity?

because they don't understand it. math people are used to it though so they aren't afraid.

"in math you don't understand things, you just get used to them." -- john von neumann

Only a few cardinalities cause me concern. The cardinality of the set of all cardinalities bothers me a lot.

For good reason, I think. I'd imagine the class of cardinal numbers can't "fit" into a set.

(I know this is a paradox when dealing with the ordinal numbers -- it's even named after someone! The class of cardinal numbers is less well-behaved, I can't be sure it's a paradox for there to be a set of cardinal numbers)

Hurkyl said:
For good reason, I think. I'd imagine the class of cardinal numbers can't "fit" into a set.

(I know this is a paradox when dealing with the ordinal numbers -- it's even named after someone! The class of cardinal numbers is less well-behaved, I can't be sure it's a paradox for there to be a set of cardinal numbers)

:cry: :cry: :cry: It's even worse than I thought!

I'm afraid.

I reckon the "fear of infinity" is a pretty natural thing, for humans. Most of us live in a world where the size of elementary particlesis incomprehensibly small, and the speed of light is incomprehensibly large.

Even when we can quantitise these factors in terms of things which are familiar to us, their respective orders are so small/big that they can get the better of us sometimes.

If you're talking about a sense of scale, it's pretty clear that people generally lack that even in more "human" cases. For example, if something has a one in a million chance of happing each day, how many people do you think would agree that it happens once a day in Detroit? (On average)

I've heard it stated that one of mankind's greatest inadequacies is that we don't fathom just how fast the exponential function grows.

Honestly, this is the first time I've ever heard of such a fear. :confused: What's to fear? It's just a fallen 8. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
It's just a fallen 8.

So sheltered, so deluded, yet so content... :wink:

brewnog said:
So sheltered, so deluded, yet so content... :wink:

No kidding, like anyone's afraid of aleph-0. :rolleyes:

Risk benefit analysis agrees that it makes sense to buy one lottery ticket now and again. Proof of Hurkyl's point is found every time that someone buys more than one ticket.

Oh yes, for anyone who remembers, it seems that my cousin really didn't win the lottery twice. Instead, grandma's [not my grandma] bank account was raided twice. :eek: I should have guessed when they claimed to win a second time! :rolleyes: About $100K all totalled I think. Grandma is in a home, you see.

1. What does it mean to think infinite and not finite?

Thinking infinite means expanding your thoughts beyond the boundaries of what is known or limited. It involves thinking without constraints and exploring endless possibilities. In contrast, thinking finite is limited to what is already known or defined.

2. How can thinking infinite benefit me?

Thinking infinite can benefit you in various ways. It can help you come up with creative and innovative solutions to problems, broaden your perspective, and push you to reach your full potential. It also allows for continuous growth and learning.

3. Can anyone learn to think infinite?

Yes, anyone can learn to think infinite. It requires an open mind, willingness to challenge your beliefs and assumptions, and the ability to think outside the box. With practice and a growth mindset, anyone can expand their thinking beyond the finite.

4. Is it possible to balance thinking infinite and finite?

Absolutely. While thinking infinite involves expanding your thoughts beyond limits, it is also essential to have a balance with thinking finite. Thinking finite allows for practicality and focus, which are necessary for implementing ideas and achieving goals.

5. How can I apply thinking infinite in my daily life?

You can apply thinking infinite in your daily life by questioning your beliefs and assumptions, seeking new perspectives, and being open to change and growth. You can also challenge yourself to think beyond what is familiar and try new things.