Inverse Kinematics Software Application with Gravity and Friction

In summary, Inverse Kinematics software is available for gravity and friction in 2D systems. It is possible to model the dynamics in MATLAB or similar software.
microRave
I have a multi component system, containing rotation of several linked elements, along with a linked rolling (w/friction) element, a beam element and GRAVITY. What I am trying to do is verify results for varriables calculated manually from constants and experimental data... does anyone know of an Inverse Kinematics Software Application with Gravity and Friction considerations? The system could be considered 2D.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it possible to model the dynamics in MATLAB or similar software?

P.S. welcome to the forum microRave!

When posting, please post your question to a single thread. It's easier to have a coherent conversation that way. If you put it in the wrong section, the mentors will move it for you.

Last edited:
Since you're talking about friction, gravity, and (presumably) inertia, I'll assume you want a dynamics package rather than just a kinematics one. Working Model is a pretty good linkage design program that allows you to run dynamics simulations, from what I remember. I'm sure there are others that I've either never seen or aren't coming to mind right now... If you really want to get to know your system, I'd go with enigma's suggestion and write your simulation in MATLAB. It's not that hard and you'll have a lot more confidence in your results (no matter how you decide to do it, you should be able to write out the equations of motion).

I'm doing a speech to sign language translator and i will need inverse kinematics to keep the avatar in it in shape. at 1st i didn't know its already there in MATLAB and I've been attempting to reinvent the wheel using vb6...my project dead line is in a month. does anyone by anychance have this kinda thing already done. i have no knowledge on MATLAB but I'm trying to learn it now. it would be gr8 if so. i could graduate with some sanity left in me

1. What is inverse kinematics?

Inverse kinematics is a mathematical technique used to determine the joint angles and positions of a robotic arm or other mechanical system in order to achieve a desired end-effector position.

2. How does gravity affect inverse kinematics?

Gravity is a force that affects the motion of objects in a physical environment. Inverse kinematics software applications take into account the gravitational force acting on a robotic arm or other mechanical system, which can impact the desired end-effector position and require adjustments to the joint angles and positions.

3. What is the role of friction in inverse kinematics?

Friction is a resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other. Inverse kinematics software applications account for friction in order to accurately calculate the required joint angles and positions to achieve a desired end-effector position.

4. How do you calibrate inverse kinematics software for a specific system?

Inverse kinematics software applications typically require calibration in order to accurately determine the joint angles and positions for a specific mechanical system. This usually involves inputting the physical dimensions and characteristics of the system, as well as any environmental factors such as gravity and friction, into the software.

5. What are the limitations of inverse kinematics software applications?

While inverse kinematics software can be highly accurate, there are limitations to its capabilities. It may struggle with complex or highly dynamic systems, and may not be able to account for external factors such as changing environmental conditions or unexpected obstacles. Additionally, the quality of the results may also depend on the accuracy of the input data and calibration of the software.