Finding the volume of gold in intergalactic space

In summary, the question asks for the volume of a gold sample that has the same mass as 8.0 × 10^24/ m^3 of intergalactic space. Using the formula p=m/V, where p is mass density, m is mass, and V is volume, and the given density of intergalactic space (2.5 × 10^–27 kg/m^3), we can find the mass of the gold sample by setting it equal to the given mass of intergalactic space (8.0 × 10^24/ m^3). This gives us a mass of 2.4 × 10^-21 kg. We can then substitute this mass into the formula and solve for V
SnackMan78
The average density of the material in intergalactic space is approximately 2.5 × 10^–27 kg/m^3. What is the volume of a gold sample, ρ = 19 300 kg/m^3, that has the same mass as 8.0 × 10^24/ m^3 of intergalactic space?

a. 1.0 × 10^–6 m^3
b. 2.0 × 10^–5 m^3
c. 5.0 × 10^–5 m^3
d. 8.0 × 10^–5 m^3
e. 1.0 × 10^–4 m^3

Using the formula p=m/V, (where p = mass density, m=mass, V=volume) I’ve got:

19300 kg/m = (8.0 * 10^24) / V, V= 2.41 x 10^-21.

Based on the answer options, I have more computations to do, but where? I see I haven't used the value for the avg. density(2.5 x 10^-27), but I'm being asked for volume. Does the volume change because of intergalactic space?

At this point I'm confused. Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have used 8x1024 as a mass but it is a volume.

Then switching values I get: 19300 / 8 x1024 = mass,
m = 2.4 x 10-21. Substituting my "m" value into the first half of the question: 2.5 x10-27 / 2.4 x 10-21 = v, v = 1.04 x 10-6. So is the answer "A"? Or have I missed interpreted your help?

Note: I don't how to get the exponents into superscript form as done in Kurdt's response.

1. How do you determine the volume of gold in intergalactic space?

To determine the volume of gold in intergalactic space, scientists use advanced telescopes and detectors to identify and measure the amount of gold present in a specific region of space. They also use mathematical models and calculations to estimate the total amount of gold in a larger area.

2. Is there actually gold in intergalactic space?

Yes, there is a small amount of gold dispersed throughout intergalactic space. This gold is thought to have been created through supernova explosions and other cosmic events.

3. How is the volume of gold in intergalactic space relevant to science?

Studying the distribution and volume of gold in intergalactic space can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of the universe. It can also help us understand the processes that create heavy elements like gold.

4. Can we ever mine the gold in intergalactic space?

Currently, it is not feasible to mine gold from intergalactic space due to the immense distances and challenges of space travel. However, as technology advances, it may become a possibility in the distant future.

5. What other elements or substances can be found in intergalactic space?

Intergalactic space is filled with various elements and substances, including hydrogen, helium, and other gases. It also contains cosmic dust and traces of heavier elements created by supernova explosions.