Calculating Displacement and Velocity of a Speedboat | Physics Problem Solved

In summary, the speedboat starts from rest and accelerates at +1.87 m/s2 for 6.50 s. At the end of this time, the boat continues for an additional 6.43 s with an acceleration of +0.656 m/s2. Following this, the boat accelerates at -1.43 m/s2 for 5.34 s. The velocity of the boat at t = 18.27 s is 8.78 m/s.
Joules23
A speedboat starts from rest and accelerates at +1.87 m/s2 for 6.50 s. At the end of this time, the boat continues for an additional 6.43 s with an acceleration of +0.656 m/s2. Following this, the boat accelerates at -1.43 m/s2 for 5.34 s. (a) What is the velocity of the boat at t = 18.27 s? (b) Find the total displacement of the boat.

I got the answer to
a)
v=ta
v=6.5*1.87=12.155
v=6.43*.656=4.22
v=5.34*(-1.43)=-7.64
v=8.78m/s @ 18.27sec

b)
i can't seem to figure this out. i am trying displacement =vt, but this is getting me only 160, the answer is 198, but i don't know how to get 198

Physics news on Phys.org
try using the equation x=1/2*a*t^2 for each aceleration and time and add them together.

i got 39.5, 13.56, -20.4, this can't be right

Joules23 said:
b)
i can't seem to figure this out. i am trying displacement =vt...
The displacement during each segment will equal the average velocity multiplied by the time. What's the average velocity in each segment?

i don't see how i can get the average velocity, when average velocity = displacement/time
thats two unknows

when i use the 3 segment velocities i got in part a, it comes to a total of 66

i just tried using this equation, and its not working out:
[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

for my first segment, my [tex]X_0[/tex] will be 0 right? but for my second segment the [tex]X_0[/tex] will be my answer to my first segment, correct?

That method should work just fine. You can also use the average velocity in each segment to find the incremental displacement (as discussed earlier).

[tex]v_{ave} = (v_i + v_f)/2[/tex]

The easiest way to solve this type of problems if to make a sketch of the acceleration and velocity diagrams. I didn't write the values on the diagrams, because I think you'll figure them out easily. I got that the total distance is equal 198 m, and it is represented by the area of the velocity diagram.

Last edited:
im LOST
displacement= X-X0.. i don't understand how i find X0 or X

X-X0=V0t + .5at^2

X-X0=12.2(6.5) + .5(1.87)(6.5)^2 = 118

Am i doing this right? Please help, I've been trying to figure this problem out for 3 hours now

Use the diagrams. As mentioned, calculate the array of the v-t diagram, where the speed at t1 is a1*t1, and so on. After calculating the speeds, you can calculate the area of the diagram. Start with the first triangle. It's area is t1*v1*0.5. The next area is equal t2*v1*+t2*v2*0.5, and so on. The total displacement equals the area of the v-t diagram.

Last edited:
ur saying i need to find the resultant vector?

No, there are no vectors. Just calculate the area of the v-t diagram, and that's your b) result.

Joules23 said:
X-X0=V0t + .5at^2

X-X0=12.2(6.5) + .5(1.87)(6.5)^2 = 118

Am i doing this right? Please help, I've been trying to figure this problem out for 3 hours now
Here you are calculating the displacement in the first segment. But you are using the wrong value for V0. V0 is the initial velocity, which for this segment is 0 (since it starts from rest). (12.2 is the final velocity.)

To use this method, which is perfectly fine, you'll need the initial velocities for each segment of the motion. (Use what you've already figured out in post #1.)

Thanks all Got it!, substitute that for 0, then for the next segment use 12.2, and for the third use 16.42... thanks again (along with the other substitutions, a, t,v)

Last edited:

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object from its original location. It is a vector quantity and is typically measured in meters.

How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the shortest distance between an object's initial and final positions.

How is displacement calculated?

Displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object. It can also be calculated by multiplying the average velocity by the time interval.

What are some real-life examples of displacement?

Some examples of displacement include a person walking from one end of a room to the other, a car driving from one city to another, and a bird flying from one tree to another. In each of these cases, the object's position changes from its initial location to its final location.

Why is displacement important?

Displacement is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the motion of objects and their changes in position over time. It also allows us to calculate other important quantities such as velocity and acceleration.