Existence of a local solution

In summary, The Lipschitz condition is not a guarantee for the existence of a global unique solution for a first order differential equation, but it is sufficient for the uniqueness. The continuity of the function f(x,t) is sufficient for existence and showing continuity and differentiability is overkill for checking the Lipschitz condition.
fortune
Hi,

For a first order Diff Equa. x'=f(x,t) and the IC: x(0)=x_0.
with t from [0 to infinity)
If f(x,t) doesn't satisfy the Lipschitz condition, can I say for sure that there doesn't exist a global unique solution?
I think the answer is "no" but I am not sure. Can you all confirm?

Also, can I use the Lipschitz condition to check the existence of a local solution around the IC? I see somebody often check the continuity of f(x) and df(x)/dx around the IC. Is this equavilent to the Lipschitz?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, even if the Lipschitz condition is not satisfied there may still exist a unique solution. You just can't be certain that the solution is unique.

You need Lipschitz to guarantee uniqueness. The fact that the function f(x,y) is continuous is sufficient to give existence.

Showing that [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/itex] is "overkill". You can use the mean value theorem to show that if a function is differentiable on an interval, then it is Lipschitz there so differentiable is sufficient. But there exist Lipschitz functions that are not differentiable so it is not necessary.

Hello,

Your understanding is correct. The Lipschitz condition is a sufficient but not necessary condition for the existence of a global unique solution. This means that if a function f(x,t) does not satisfy the Lipschitz condition, it is still possible for a global unique solution to exist. However, the Lipschitz condition is a commonly used and reliable tool for checking the existence of a global solution.

For the existence of a local solution, the Lipschitz condition can also be used. In fact, it is often used to check the existence of a local solution around the initial condition. Checking the continuity of f(x) and df(x)/dx around the initial condition is equivalent to checking the Lipschitz condition. This is because if a function is continuous and has a bounded derivative, it satisfies the Lipschitz condition. So, checking the Lipschitz condition is a more general approach.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work!

What is meant by "existence of a local solution"?

The existence of a local solution refers to the presence of a solution to a mathematical or scientific problem within a specific region or domain. This means that the solution is valid and applicable only within a limited scope or context.

Why is the existence of a local solution important in scientific research?

The existence of a local solution is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand and solve complex problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It also helps us to analyze and predict the behavior of systems within a specific region or domain.

How is the existence of a local solution determined?

The existence of a local solution is determined by using mathematical and scientific methods, such as differential equations, to solve a problem within a limited region or domain. Additionally, it may also involve experimental data and observations to validate the solution.

Can a local solution be extended to a global solution?

In some cases, a local solution can be extended to a global solution, which means it can be applied to a larger region or domain. However, this is not always possible and depends on the complexity of the problem and the validity of the assumptions made in the local solution.

What are the limitations of a local solution?

The limitations of a local solution include its validity only within a limited region or domain, and the potential for it to not accurately reflect the behavior of a system on a larger scale. It also may not take into account external factors that could affect the solution in a broader context.