Empirical Formula for Magnesium Oxide

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of finding the empirical formula for magnesium oxide in chemistry, with the individual seeking help from others. The formula for magnesium oxide is MgO because magnesium has an oxidation state of +2 and oxygen has an oxidation state of -2, resulting in a neutral molecule requiring one magnesium and one oxygen atom. There are resources available to learn more about empirical formulas and magnesium oxide.
Atropine
I'm currently trying to understand the concept that my chemistry teacher wants me to figure out. We are not doing stoichiometry. We haven't even gotten the definition for it. Now I need to find the empirical formula for magnesium Oxide.

My friends kept telling me (MgO) Which I didnt fully understand but I wanted to know if anyone would be able to help me because I'm really in a pickle right now.

I can give you more information if you would be so kind to contact me ASAP.

*Amanda

Physics news on Phys.org
Emprical formula - http://www.towson.edu/~ladon/empiric.html

Magnesium Oxide - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_oxide

Now why is the formula MgO? Magnesium exists in an oxidation state of +2 and oxygen -2. To make a neutral molecule one magnesium must combine with one oxygen. It talkes about empirical formulas since magnesium oxide can exist as a crystal and could have formulas such as Mg2O2, Mg3O3, etc

I've seen those sites but thank you for responding. Its rather fuzzy of an idea. And I'm still moderatly confused.

1. What is the empirical formula for magnesium oxide?

The empirical formula for magnesium oxide is MgO. This means that for every 1 atom of magnesium, there is 1 atom of oxygen in the compound.

2. How is the empirical formula for magnesium oxide determined?

The empirical formula for magnesium oxide is determined through experimentation and analysis of the elements present in the compound. This involves finding the mass of each element and using that data to calculate the ratio of the elements present in the compound.

3. Why is the empirical formula important for magnesium oxide?

The empirical formula is important for magnesium oxide because it tells us the simplest whole-number ratio of the elements present in the compound. This information is crucial for understanding the chemical and physical properties of the compound.

4. Can the empirical formula for magnesium oxide be changed?

No, the empirical formula for magnesium oxide cannot be changed. This formula represents the simplest ratio of elements in the compound and any alteration would result in a different compound.

5. How is the empirical formula for magnesium oxide different from the molecular formula?

The empirical formula for magnesium oxide is the simplest ratio of elements, while the molecular formula represents the exact number and types of atoms present in a molecule of the compound. In the case of magnesium oxide, the molecular formula is also MgO as it has a 1:1 ratio of elements.