Calculating Tension in a Flywheel Drive Belt: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter chevyboy86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flywheel
In summary, an electric motor turns a flywheel through a drive belt with a pulley on the motor and a pulley on the flywheel. The flywheel has a mass of 80 kg and a diameter of 1.25m, while its pulley has a smaller mass and a radius of 0.230m. The tension in the upper part of the belt is 135N and the flywheel has a clockwise angular acceleration of 1.67 rad/s2. By calculating the net torque caused by the difference in tension between the upper and lower belts, the tension in the lower belt can be found to be 21.5N. Further equations and a visual representation of the forces and radii can help determine
chevyboy86
An electric motor turns a flywheel through a drive belt that joins a pulley on the motor and a pulley of the flywheel. The flywheel has a mass of 80 kg and a diameter of 1.25m. Its pulley has a much smaller mass and a radius of .230m. the tension in the upper (taut) part of the belt is 135N and the flywheel has a clockwise angular acceleration of 1.67 rad/s2. Find tension in lower belt.

The answer is 21.5N but I can't figure out the equations to get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference in tension between the upper and lower belts will provide the net torque that causes the clockwis angular acceleration. Draw a drawing of the forces and radii, etc., and see where you get to...

I can confirm that the answer of 21.5N is correct. To calculate the tension in the lower belt, we can use the equation T = Iα/r, where T is the tension, I is the moment of inertia, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of the pulley.

First, we need to calculate the moment of inertia of the flywheel, which is given by the equation I = 1/2mr^2. Plugging in the values, we get I = 1/2 * 80 kg * (1.25m)^2 = 62.5 kgm^2.

Next, we can use the given angular acceleration of 1.67 rad/s^2 and the radius of the pulley of 0.230m to calculate the tension in the upper belt. Using the equation T = Iα/r, we get T = (62.5 kgm^2) * (1.67 rad/s^2) / (0.230m) = 454.3 N.

Since the upper part of the belt has a tension of 135N, we can use the equation T = Tupper + Tlower to find the tension in the lower belt. Rearranging the equation, we get Tlower = T - Tupper. Plugging in the values, we get Tlower = 454.3 N - 135 N = 319.3 N.

Therefore, the tension in the lower belt is 319.3 N, which is equivalent to 21.5 N.

1. What is a flywheel and how does it work?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy and helps regulate the rotational speed of a machine. It consists of a heavy wheel or disk that rotates on an axle and stores energy in the form of kinetic energy. The flywheel works by storing energy when the machine's speed is high and releasing it when the speed decreases, thus helping maintain a constant speed.

2. What are the benefits of using a flywheel in a machine?

The use of a flywheel in a machine has several benefits, such as providing smooth and consistent power output, reducing vibrations and noises, and helping the machine maintain a constant speed. Flywheels also act as energy storage devices, allowing the machine to continue running during brief power interruptions.

3. How do I choose the right size flywheel for my machine?

The size of the flywheel needed for a machine depends on several factors, including the type of machine, its power requirements, and the desired speed. Generally, a larger and heavier flywheel will store more energy and provide a smoother power output. It's best to consult with a professional or refer to the machine's specifications to determine the appropriate size of flywheel.

4. Can a flywheel be used in renewable energy systems?

Yes, flywheels can be used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and solar power plants. In these systems, the flywheel helps store excess energy produced during peak hours and release it during low energy production periods, thus providing a more consistent power output.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot issues with a flywheel?

Regular maintenance of a flywheel is crucial to ensure its proper functioning. This includes checking for any signs of wear and tear, such as cracks or misalignment, and replacing any damaged parts. If issues arise with the flywheel, it's important to consult a professional for proper troubleshooting and repairs.