Disabling Car Alarm: Fixing Sidewinder 5000ESP Shortcut

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the individual is experiencing issues with their car alarm and is seeking advice on how to disconnect it. They are also experiencing issues with their headlights and engine stalling. Suggestions have been made to check the manual, visit a dealer or auto electrician, and replace certain parts such as the crank position sensor, ignition coil, and spark plugs. The individual may also need to get a readout from a diagnostics center.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, maybe this is not such a technical question, but does anybody know how to disconnect a car alarm?. I have a sidewinder 5000ESP that I think has a shortcut, because I am noticing that something weird happens with my headlights. One of the electric motor of the headlights keeps on working for a while after switching off the lights, and I am not even able to drive with the headlights down and the park lights on (they are just below the headlights, at sight) since some time ago. Fortunately nothing happens with the starter. But I think that the alarm is responsible of the shortcut. I went to the dealer webpage but it does not have the installation manual (!).

Computer science news on Phys.org
Your best bet would be to go to the dealer who installed it for a diagnosis/repair. If such isn't possible, find another dealer for the same product. There are too many things that can go wrong if you start messing with the circuitry in a computerized car.

Is there anything in the manual about the alarm system? If not maybe there's a fuse for it and you could pull it out, just kidding.

Clausius2 said:
One of the electric motor of the headlights keeps on working for a while after switching off the lights
I'm thinking that there is a limit switch on this headlight that's broken or shifted out of alignment.
Or
If there is a rubber gasket or seal with the light door then it may no longer be seated correctly.

You need the manual as most good quality car alarms allow you to disable the alarm or its individual features using the remote.

If you can't get information from the dealer of how to do that then the only other way is to take it to an auto electrician or trace the connections from the alarm yourself reconnecting all the original loom connections back together as they were before the alarm was installed.
If you don't know what your doing then leave it to an expert

Okay guys. Now that we are altogether for talking I will update that my firebird is diying. The engine suddenly stops (with no previous stalling). I have thought about the ignition coil, but it turns out that it is not a permanent failure, but it happens from time to time. I'm afraid because it is a power steering car, and if it goes off in the highway and I run out of brakes and steering I can have serious troubles. Any advices?

Thanks.

Assuming that you have normal physical capabilities, both the steering and brakes will continue to function without the engine running.
You just need to provide more of the actuation force.

If your car starts back up after a few minutes then look to replacing the crank position sensor.
It is part of the ignition system.
I have seen quite a few fail in this maner.

Note: this sensor has different names depending on where it is physically located.
I don't know the location for your car.

These sensors are in the $20 range, so being wrong is cheap, but educational.
If that doesn't help then bad/corroded electrical grounds or engine control computer.

Edit: If you replace the sensor yourself, the base timeing will probably need to be adjusted. Tolerances are close enough that it should run, but may not meet emisions standards.

Last edited:
the crank sensor?. It seems a little bit, I don't know, strange. As a recent update, I will tell you that this morning I drove the car for a while and the light of service engine needed soon came on, without stalling nor stopping, and it kept like so until I got to my place. For more information, the alternator got broken some weeks ago, so I had to replace it. The awful thing is that it drained the battery because I run some yards without alternator. The battery is ok, I went to get it recharged and the voltimeter reads about 10-11 volts when loaded with lights (my instrument panel has a voltimeter) and around 13 volts when the alternator is running. I'm pretty sure that the former alternator was not giving 13 volts (in part because it was going off), maybe the change of alternator is over energizing the old ignition coil. But to say the truth when I drove today I felt a little bit of lack of power, and I am starting to thing that some spark plug is dead. My next movements are going to go to a Diagnostics Center or to replace the ignition coil and the plugs by myself.

Had a few cars die intermitantly on that crank sensor.

If the check engine light turned on, get a readout.
Some cars will display the error if you push the right buttons in the right order.
In the US some auto parts stores will do a free readout.

If your battery shows 10v - 11v with lights on and engine off.
Most likely you have a bad cell and the battery needs replacing.
An alternator failure can cause this type of battery problem.

If it runs reasonably well most of the time, then coil and plugs are very unlikely problems.

Thanks a lot man. I will go to have one of those readouts done.

My guess is that a lot of the electrical parts of your car are giving trouble. Seems like the main circuit is where the problem is. No point messing with those. Take your car to some electrical workshop or to the dealer you got your alarm system. They may need to go through a lot before even they can fix it. May even be a small problem, but not possible for you to fix on your own.

If it was my car i would first be changing the points & condensor (depends on age of car) plugs and then the leads and maybe coil if it has one .
Doubt its got anything to do with battery but check for corroded or broken leads where they attach to the battery terminals.

Dependant of its age it may not have a crank sensor so check the manual.

1. How do I disable a car alarm without the key fob?

To disable a car alarm without the key fob, you can try using the manual override button on the alarm system or disconnecting the car battery. You can also try using the Sidewinder 5000ESP shortcut, which involves pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob simultaneously.

2. Can I disable my car alarm permanently?

It is not recommended to permanently disable your car alarm, as it is an important safety feature. However, if you are experiencing issues with your alarm, you can consult a professional mechanic or refer to your car's manual for instructions on how to disable it.

3. Why is my car alarm going off for no reason?

There are several possible reasons why your car alarm may be going off for no reason. It could be due to a malfunctioning sensor, a low battery in the key fob, or a wiring issue. It is best to have a professional inspect your car to determine the exact cause of the issue.

4. Can I disable my car alarm remotely?

Most car alarms cannot be disabled remotely, as they are designed to only be deactivated with the key fob or manual override button. However, some newer car models may have a remote disable feature through a smartphone app or remote start system.

5. Will disabling my car alarm affect my car's warranty?

Disabling your car alarm should not affect your car's warranty, as long as it is done properly and does not cause any damage to the car. It is always best to consult your car's manual or a professional mechanic before attempting to disable any car alarm system.