K; the force constant of a spring

In summary, to find the k (N/m) of a spring inclined at an angle, you need to consider the forces acting on the attached mass parallel to the incline. These include the parallel component of gravity and the spring force. The normal force does not affect the tension in the spring. The spring constant remains constant regardless of the angle of the incline.
fyzikschik

Homework Statement

how would you find the k (N/m) of a spring that is inclined at an angle (for ex. 30degrees)? Do you just ignore the fact that it's inclided at an angle? By the way, the spring is stretched at 8cm.

Homework Equations

hooke's law: F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the forces acting on the spring in this case be force of gravity at 30deg an potential energy ( Ee=1/2 kx^2 ). I'm lost, help!

Physics news on Phys.org
yo, i dunno. if you got hooke's law in one dimension then spose you got to just treat as a one dimensional problemo. it's just a constant of proportionality that links stress and strain.

the fact is if they were going to be nasty they'd give you some kind of anisotropy to deal with, which they haven@t (i assume) so you can deal with it as you find it!

billiards said:
yo, i dunno. if you got hooke's law in one dimension then spose you got to just treat as a one dimensional problemo. it's just a constant of proportionality that links stress and strain.

the fact is if they were going to be nasty they'd give you some kind of anisotropy to deal with, which they haven@t (i assume) so you can deal with it as you find it!

so then i should just ignore the fact that this spring is inclined and stretched at an angle and at a a fixed distance and just say that since f=kx therefore k=mg/x ...right?

fyzikschik said:
so then i should just ignore the fact that this spring is inclined and stretched at an angle and at a a fixed distance and just say that since f=kx therefore k=mg/x ...right?

If there is an object of mass m attached to the spring, then the acceleration due to gravitation of the object is mg*sin(angle). By setting that up, you can solve problems 'in the direction' of the incline.

fyzikschik said:
how would you find the k (N/m) of a spring that is inclined at an angle (for ex. 30degrees)? Do you just ignore the fact that it's inclided at an angle? By the way, the spring is stretched at 8cm.
Since the spring is stretched parallel to the incline, you need to consider the force on it parallel to the incline.
Would the forces acting on the spring in this case be force of gravity at 30deg an potential energy ( Ee=1/2 kx^2 ).
Consider the forces on the mass attached to the spring parallel to the incline. Potential energy is not a force.

fyzikschik said:
Wrong. The angle of the incline determines the force that stretches the spring. (Imagine if the angle of incline were 0 degrees--horizontal--or 90 degrees--vertical. Big difference, right?) Consider the forces acting on the attached mass parallel to the incline.

Doc Al said:
Since the spring is stretched parallel to the incline, you need to consider the force on it parallel to the incline.

Consider the forces on the mass attached to the spring parallel to the incline. Potential energy is not a force.

Wrong. The angle of the incline determines the force that stretches the spring. (Imagine if the angle of incline were 0 degrees--horizontal--or 90 degrees--vertical. Big difference, right?) Consider the forces acting on the attached mass parallel to the incline.

ok, so the force would be gravity, k= m*sin30*9.8/x??
would force of tension be included? what about the normail force, because we are talking about the spring being in contact with the inclined launch pad

I guess my real question now is, do I have to attach a mass to this spring and measure the k at the angle? Would the k be the same if I hung the spring vertically with the same mass at a 90 degree angle? Because I'm confused as to whether the k changes if the spring is at an angle or to the vertical or horizontal!

fyzikschik said:
I guess my real question now is, do I have to attach a mass to this spring and measure the k at the angle? Would the k be the same if I hung the spring vertically with the same mass at a 90 degree angle? Because I'm confused as to whether the k changes if the spring is at an angle or to the vertical or horizontal!
Your above answer is correct. The normal reaction force does not affect the tension in the spring since it acts perpendicular to the spring. With respect to your next question, not the spring constant remains constant. Although by altering the angle you are varying the force applied to the spring, the spring will extend by an amount equal to x = F/k. This is why it is called the spring constant. It is constant. To verify this, you could try varying the angle of the incline and noting the extension produced in the spring.

so then, at an angle theta, k=*m*sintheta*9.8/x ??
i'm assuming we can discard the force of tension and the normal force (since they are perpendicular)

fyzikschik said:
ok, so the force would be gravity, k= m*sin30*9.8/x??
would force of tension be included?
The forces acting on the mass parallel to the incline are:
(1) the parallel component of gravity, which is mg sin30
(2) the spring force, which is kx.
Set those equal--since the mass is in equilibrium-- and you'll get k as you described.
what about the normail force, because we are talking about the spring being in contact with the inclined launch pad
The normal force will balance the perpendicular component of gravity. But that won't help you find k, so you don't need to worry about it.

fyzikschik said:
k is a property of the spring. I doesn't matter what the angle of incline is, the spring constant is the same. If you change the angle, both the sine of the angle and the amount of stretch will change together. The value of k that you find will be the same no matter what the angle. So if you've measured it once, that's enough.

fyzikschik said:
so then, at an angle theta, k=*m*sintheta*9.8/x ??
i'm assuming we can discard the force of tension and the normal force (since they are perpendicular)
Do you mean the tension in the spring. And yes you can ignore the normal force.

i'm going to be given a launch angle and a distance and i have to determine how far i need to pull this spring back to hit a target. I'm assuiming (and according to doc al) that since the force constant is the same that i should just measure the mass of the spring, and say (k=m*g*x). I've left out the angle because from what you said, i understand that the angle does not affect k, am I correct in thinking so?

and to further clarify, no mass will be attached to the spring. only the spring itself will be in motion.

fyzikschik said:
i'm assuiming (and according to doc al) that since the force constant is the same that i should just measure the mass of the spring, and say (k=m*g*x).
I never said anything about the mass of the spring. I thought you were asking about how to measure the spring constant of a (presumably massless) spring by hanging a mass off one end. If the spring constant is high enough (in other words, if the spring is stiff enough) you can neglect the mass of the spring in measuring its spring constant.

Realize that the mass of the spring is distributed over the length of the spring, so it is not the same as simply hanging a mass off one end.

(It pays to specify the full situation as exactly as possible so we can understand the context of your question.)

thanks for being patient, doc.
all I'm trying to do is figure out if the spring constant of a spring can be determined by its own mass and its own length. and if that k would apply if i was to use it in a calculatation once the spring is on an inclined plane.

the main purpose of this is to be able to launch the spring (manually using a pen to extend it at a calculated extension x) so that it can hit a target. this is why i need to know if k is the same at an inclined angle as it is if i were just to say k=mg/x.

we are given a launch angle on test day and are given a distance (of target). i don't know the launch angle, so i have to figure out a k that would apply for everything. and this is where I'm lost. because i don't know if the components of gravity will affect the k once it is on the inclined angle.

i'm new to physics, and I'm graduating and i would be grateful if u could continue to help.

if i hung the spring vertically, and attach a mass to it, and find k that way, would that k apply to calculations such as:

x= square root (mv^2/k) <--this determines how far i need to pull the spring back at the angle to get it to land on the target. v is found through ( v= square root of gx/sin2theta)

how would u find k in such a situation?

My advice: Keep it simple. Unless that spring is a whopper, I would ignore its mass in measuring the spring constant. Hang it unloaded, measure its unstretched position. Then hang a mass on it and measure its stretch. Use that data to measure k.

What is "K; the force constant of a spring"?

K; the force constant of a spring, also known as the spring constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How is the force constant of a spring calculated?

The force constant of a spring can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation K = F/x, where K is the force constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

What are the units of the force constant?

The units of the force constant depend on the units used for force and displacement. In the SI system, the force constant is measured in Newtons per meter (N/m). In the English system, it is measured in pounds per inch (lb/in).

What is the significance of the force constant in the behavior of a spring?

The force constant determines the strength and properties of a spring. A higher force constant indicates a stiffer spring, meaning it requires more force to stretch or compress it by a certain distance. A lower force constant indicates a more flexible spring, meaning it requires less force to deform it.

How does the force constant affect the period of oscillation of a spring?

The period of oscillation of a spring is directly proportional to the force constant. This means that a higher force constant will result in a shorter period of oscillation and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation T = 2π√(m/K), where T is the period, m is the mass attached to the spring, and K is the force constant.