I hate Frobenius series, can anyone help

In summary, Dave is struggling with solving a problem and needs help with part (b) of the problem. He has tried writing out the equation in terms of the sum, but it becomes messy and he is unsure how to manipulate it. He is looking for good sources on the internet to help him solve the problem.
Gypsumfantastic
Please find attached the problem I am having difficulty with its part (b) i need help with.

Cheers,

Dave:cry:

Attachments

• problem.doc
    27 KB · Views: 217
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? I assume that you wrote out the equation in terms of the sum. What is that equation with r= 0?

HallsofIvy said:
What have you tried so far? I assume that you wrote out the equation in terms of the sum. What is that equation with r= 0?

Ya its just that it it gets really messy and I am not sure how to manipluate it properly do you, the eqn is what your supposed to get if you solve it with r =0 know any good sources on the internet for solving these things.

Cheers dave

Last edited:

1. What is a Frobenius series?

A Frobenius series is a type of power series in which the coefficients are determined through a recursive formula involving the initial term and previous coefficients. It is often used in differential equations and has applications in various fields of mathematics and science.

2. Why do people hate Frobenius series?

Many people find Frobenius series to be difficult and unintuitive due to the recursive nature of the coefficients. It also requires a strong understanding of calculus and algebra to fully grasp, making it a challenging concept for some.

3. Can anyone help me understand Frobenius series?

Yes, there are many resources available for understanding Frobenius series, including textbooks, online tutorials, and academic courses. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a math tutor or professor.

4. Are there any practical applications of Frobenius series?

Yes, Frobenius series have numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are often used to solve differential equations that arise in real-world problems.

5. What are some common mistakes when working with Frobenius series?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the initial term in the recursive formula for the coefficients. Another mistake is not paying attention to the convergence of the series, as it may only be valid in a certain range of values. It is important to carefully follow the steps and formulas when working with Frobenius series to avoid errors.