Vector calculus - Divergence Theorem

In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of a vector function over a surface defined by a sphere. Using Gauss's theorem and converting between cartesian and spherical coordinates, the solution can be found by evaluating the divergence of the vector function and using the given limits of integration.
joex444

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\int_{s} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{a}[/tex] given [tex]\vec{A} = ( x\hat{i} + y\hat{j} + z\hat{k} ) ( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 )[/tex] and the surface S is defined by the sphere [tex]R^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2[/tex] directly and by Gauss's theorem.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{s} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{a} = \int_{V} \nabla \cdot \vec{A} da = \int\int\int \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 A_{r}) r^2 \sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi = \int\int\int \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 A_{r}) \sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi = 4 \pi R^5[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the answer, I was able to work backwards using limits of integration of 0 to 2pi for phi, 0 to pi for theta and 0 to R on r to find out that A = r^3. Now, the question I have is how can I show that A = r^3 given the A in cartesian coordinates? Since [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex] its clear that [tex]A=r^2(x\hat{i} + y\hat{j} + z\hat{k})[/tex] but to call the vector valued term r is not agreeing with me. Obviously, since the surface is a sphere, I thought it would be easier to use spherical coordinates...

Edit: Using cartesian coordinates I can find [tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = 5(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) = 5r^2[/tex] but using the formula given for spherical coordinates, I would need to show A = r^3 to do a full solution in spherical.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "A= r3"? What is A? There is no A in the statement of the problem.

A is given, it is the vector. It's in the first line... Of course, to solve for A in spherical I worked backwards from the answer (I needed an R^5 in the final answer, and the divergence in spherical gives me an integral of a partial of r^2 * A, so obviously r^2 * A needs to have a 5th power, thus A = r^3, working it through, it does come out correctly).

When I try to convert the given A into spherical directly, I can only get as far as [tex]\vec{A} = r^2(x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k})[/tex]

Another question I have is whether it would be easier to show it directly in cartesian or spherical...I'm leaning towards cartesian because A is given in cartesian.

Last edited:
A = r^3

As Halls pointed out, that's not right.

The conversion from cartesian to spherical, and vice versa, should be found in any vector calculus text.

(or try, http://www.math.montana.edu/frankw/ccp/multiworld/multipleIVP/spherical/body.htm )

Another question I have is whether it would be easier to show it directly in cartesian or spherical...I'm leaning towards cartesian because A is given in cartesian.

The integral [itex]\int_{s} \vec{A} \cdot d\vec{a}[/itex] over [itex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2=R^2[/itex] should be easier to evaluate in spherical coordinates because of the symmetry (ie, you're integrating over a sphere).

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Divergence Theorem in vector calculus?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem or Green's Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region inside the surface.

What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is significant because it allows for the conversion of a difficult surface integral into an easier volume integral, making it a useful tool in solving various physical and mathematical problems involving vector fields.

What is the mathematical formula for the Divergence Theorem?

The mathematical formula for the Divergence Theorem is ∬V(∇⋅F)dV = ∫S(F⋅n)dS, where V is the volume enclosed by the closed surface S, F is a continuously differentiable vector field, ∇⋅F is the divergence of F, and n is the outward unit normal vector to the surface at each point.

What are some applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics to calculate fluid flow rates and in electromagnetism to calculate electric flux. It is also used in differential geometry and in the study of partial differential equations.

How is the Divergence Theorem related to other theorems in vector calculus?

The Divergence Theorem is closely related to other theorems in vector calculus, such as the Green's Theorem, the Stokes' Theorem, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. These theorems all involve the relationship between a surface integral and a volume integral, but differ in the type of vector field and the dimension of the space they are applied to.