How does that relate to the length of the wire?

• Thread starter pugfug90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe Wire
In summary: The width is 20/8. The height is 8*20/8 or 160/64=4. So the xy dimensions of the rectangle that a single winding would span is (4*20)/(4*8)=80.
pugfug90

Homework Statement

Given a pipe with 8cm circumference and length 20cm that is 8 turns of wire wrapped around a pipe, what's the length of the wire?

Homework Equations

circumference=2(pi)r=diameter*pi (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

ml07wp.jpg

This is pic with problem. My approach, first, take circumference of 8cm. set to formula to find radius, which can then be used to find diameter.

8cm=2(pi)r..r=4cm/pi

Then pic shows the tube being "divided" into 8 pieces. I then draw a diagram, and measure length as the sum of the diagonal blue parts + the sum of the nonvisible imaginary lines passing behind the tube as it revolves. Tricky because there are 8 diagonal lines and 7 horizontal lines... o.o

So yeah, r=4cm/pi, so d=8cm/pi or 2.55. This is the horizontal part. For the vertical part of the diagram (if you cut the tube into eight thingies), I took the height of 20cm, divided by 8 (you see 8 sections on the pic), and got 2.5. Using pythagorean theorem to find the diagonal, 2.5 squared plus 2.55 squared is 12.7525, so diagonal is 3.57.

Now I have diagonal, add the 8 diagonal parts together, so 8(3.57)=28.56. +7(2.55)=46.41.

But then.. The horizonal part, instead of a straight edged distanced, could also be half of the circumference, or pi*r.. But then that diagonal across the tube isn't flat edged either.. oii

The answer is 67.05 for those that can get it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think hard, you'll realize that if you can 'unwrap' the wire going around the cylinder into a single right triangle and not have to split it into parts. It looks to me like you are calculating the length of the wire projected into the plane of the paper.

Not sure what you mean...
11rvgg2.png

This is my interpretation of what you just said and I get a mere ~28.

I get that the base is 64cm. Eight diameters of the cylinder. Your are projecting again. If you look at a semicircle edge-on it may LOOK like it has length 2R, but that's not it's real length. You are trying to measure distances by essentially putting a ruler on a 3d picture.

ee

Teacher gave some hints and I got it now. If I were to imagine this problem, but with 1 instead of 8 wraps, it'd be a line, from one end of, say, a paper, to another end.

1------1
1 1
1------1

The horizontal part of the folded out tube, or paper, is the circumference, 8cm. I need to divide the length into 20/8, do pythag with horizontal of 8cm and height of 20/8, multiply that found length by 8 since 8 wraps, voila :D

I don't see much point in dividing by 8 and then multiplying by 8, but if it helps you visualize the problem...

pugfug90 said:
ml07wp.jpg

As a possible additional source of confusion, does anyone spot something odd about how that winding is drawn?

Dick said:
I get that the base is 64cm. Eight diameters of the cylinder.

Do you mean eight circumferences?

Dick said:
If you think hard, you'll realize that if you can 'unwrap' the wire going around the cylinder into a single right triangle and not have to split it into parts.

As a suggestion to pugfug90 to illustrate what Dick is saying, get the cardboard core from a roll of toilet paper or paper towels. You'll find that the seam running around it forms a spiral or helix like your wire winding. Now take the core apart carefully along the spiral and lay it flat. You should find that this edge is now a straight line (that's how the core is manufactured). How could you find the length of that seam?

Last edited:
pug, you're overthinking it.

Examine a simpler case: one winding.

The height is 20/8. The width is not across the tube (the diameter), it's around the tube (the circumference) - which you're given. So what are the xy dimensions of the rectangle that a single winding would span?

1. What is the purpose of wrapping wire around a pipe?

The purpose of wrapping wire around a pipe is to provide support and reinforcement to the pipe. This is especially important for pipes that are exposed to high pressure or extreme temperatures, as the wire helps prevent the pipe from bending or breaking.

2. What type of wire is typically used for wrapping around pipes?

The type of wire used for wrapping around pipes depends on the specific application and the material of the pipe. Generally, steel or aluminum wire is used for wrapping metal pipes, while plastic or fiberglass wire is used for wrapping plastic pipes. The wire must have high tensile strength and be resistant to corrosion in order to effectively support the pipe.

3. How is the wire wrapped around the pipe?

The wire is typically wrapped in a helical pattern around the pipe, with each wrap overlapping the previous one. This creates a strong and consistent layer of support around the pipe. The wire is usually secured at the ends with clamps or ties to keep it in place.

4. Can wire wrapping be used for all types of pipes?

Yes, wire wrapping can be used for most types of pipes, including metal, plastic, and composite materials. However, the specific type of wire and wrapping technique may vary depending on the material and purpose of the pipe. It is important to consult with an expert to determine the most suitable method for your specific pipe.

5. Are there any benefits to using wire wrapping for pipes?

Yes, there are several benefits to using wire wrapping for pipes. It provides added support and reinforcement, which can extend the lifespan of the pipe and prevent costly repairs. It is also a cost-effective solution compared to other methods of pipe support. Additionally, wire wrapping can be easily applied and removed, making it a versatile option for different types of pipes and applications.