Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
My wife just returned from a trip to my brother's house with a jar of BBQ sauce that is made from 20 habaneros, 20 jalapenos, 2 mangoes, 2 onions, 2 bulbs of garlic, some OJ and lots of other stuff. If it turns out to be good on smoked ribs, roasted chicken parts, etc, I will post the recipe here.

For Astronuc: my wife was at a baby shower for said younger brother's wife, so in her absence (and with time to dig through astronomy/cosmology papers) I'd foregone cooking and have resorted to the Applegate Farms organic stadium hot dogs and rolls with red habanero relish and yellow mustard. It's an addiction! I will try to keep a jar of the relish locked away somewhere so there will be some available for your next visit. I promise! (kinda) :uhh:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
My wife just returned from a trip to my brother's house with a jar of BBQ sauce that is made from 20 habaneros, 20 jalapenos, 2 mangoes, 2 onions, 2 bulbs of garlic, some OJ and lots of other stuff. If it turns out to be good on smoked ribs, roasted chicken parts, etc, I will post the recipe here.
I think I'll try so experiments tomorrow. I'll need to go find some fresh garlic.

For Astronuc: my wife was at a baby shower for said younger brother's wife, so in her absence (and with time to dig through astronomy/cosmology papers) I'd foregone cooking and have resorted to the Applegate Farms organic stadium hot dogs and rolls with red habanero relish and yellow mustard. It's an addiction! I will try to keep a jar of the relish locked away somewhere so there will be some available for your next visit. I promise! (kinda) :uhh:
I'm getting low on the relish.

Meanwhile -

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/superc/com.html
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/galgrps/vir.html
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/virgo.html
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/superc/perpsc.html
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/superc/psccet.html
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/superc/hor.html

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/superc.html

Hmmmm - interesting! :smile:

Astronuc said:
I think I'll try so experiments tomorrow. I'll need to go find some fresh garlic.

I'm getting low on the relish.
Ahh! Experimenting might be the best way to fix that relish shortage!

Astronuc said:
Nice visuals on that site. It's always a bit humbling to see just how tiny our neighborhood is.

turbo-1 said:
Ahh! Experimenting might be the best way to fix that relish shortage!
I want to try recipe - post #74. What kind of molasses?

Nice visuals on that site. It's always a bit humbling to see just how tiny our neighborhood is.
And that's only a billion lightyears across. Very humbling indeed - one can only sit back and contemplate in awe.

Astronuc, I use Crosby's molasses for salsas, baked beans, BBQ sauces - practically everything where you want sweetness with flavor.

turbo---I want to freeze some peppers (bell/green)---it may not be the 'best' way to 'keep' them, but do you have any suggestions?

rewebster said:
turbo---I want to freeze some peppers (bell/green)---it may not be the 'best' way to 'keep' them, but do you have any suggestions?
My wife and I freeze jalapeno peppers whole and dry (not rinsed off) to minimize ice build-up in the bag. Then when we want a pepper or two for a dish, we take what we want out of a bag, reseal it, and toss it back in the freezer. It has worked pretty well for the chilies, and it might work out fine for bell peppers, too. When thawed, the texture of the jalapenos is different than fresh, but the flavor is still very good and the texture doesn't matter if we're going to make spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, etc, with the chilies.

rewebster said:
Here you go.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciqpeppers.shtml [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Here you go.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciqpeppers.shtml [Broken]

well, thanks (both)---I ended up the other time with an 'ice glob' of peppers.

2. "Freeze peppers in a single layer on a cookie sheet with sides, about an hour or longer until frozen. This method is often referred to as "tray freezing." "

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be better to roast the peppers before freezing? Or partially dry (which means slicing them open)?

We can buy bags of frozen (diced) peppers and onions, so it works.

Freezing and thawing certainly changes the texture because the process ruptures cell membranes.

I wish I had a liquid nitrogen freezer in the basement

rewebster said:
I wish I had a liquid nitrogen freezer in the basement
Oh - one has to think big!

I wish I had superconducting supercollider (1000's TeV) in my basement, a 1 km telescope in my attic (assuming I can't get a satellite-based one), and multi-GW fusion reactor in my garage! :biggrin:

Got to have more power! Muahahahahaaaaa!

http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/cosmic_distance.html

Turbo and I have similar interests in hot sauces/relishes and cosmology.

Astronuc said:

I wish I had superconducting supercollider (1000's TeV) in my basement, a 1 km telescope in my attic (assuming I can't get a satellite-based one), and multi-GW fusion reactor in my garage! :biggrin:

You got to start going to those government surplus auctions --(I heard about some pretty incredible finds at them)

Astronuc said:

Yep! I had my brother's habanero/jalapeno/mango sauce on my pan-fried blade steak (breakfast) and it's pretty tasty. I'll put up the recipe sometime for those who like to experiment, but I think I'm going to stick with my simpler not-as-sweet sauces.

For those who share my interests in astronomy/cosmology, check out the multi-band animation available here. http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2007/ngc4258/
It shows M106 in X-rays, radio waves, infrared, and visible light. It's from the 2007 imagery from Astronuc's link.

turbo-1 said:
Yep! I had my brother's habanero/jalapeno/mango sauce on my pan-fried blade steak (breakfast) and it's pretty tasty. I'll put up the recipe sometime for those who like to experiment, but I think I'm going to stick with my simpler not-as-sweet sauces.
Don't loose that recipe - we just need to refine it a little. Think about a chutney. :tongue2:

For those who share my interests in astronomy/cosmology, check out the multi-band animation available here. http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2007/ngc4258/
It shows M106 in X-rays, radio waves, infrared, and visible light. It's from the 2007 imagery from Astronuc's link.
Cool! I'd like to have the separate overlays to play with. Well - actually the raw data and appropriate software.

http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/zoom_images.html :biggrin:

Last edited:
My brother's recipe for sweet hot sauce:

20 habaneros
20 jalapenos
2 onions
juice of 2 limes
2 mangoes
2 bulbs of garlic
2 cups orange juice
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
2 cups vinegar

Grill the peppers
Saute the onions and garlic
Puree onions, peppers, garlic, and mangoes in vinegar.
Simmer puree with OJ, lime juice sugar, molasses for 1 hr on med-low heat.
Puree again.
Follow approved process for canning in sterile jars and let the sauce age for at least a week before using.

Far Star said:
World hottest pepper? For anyone that missed it:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071026162420.htm
Most of us chili-heads caught that earlier, but thanks for the heads-up. My habaneros allow me to build products that I cannot eat with impunity and have to use sparingly, so I don't think I'll be planting any of these. I've seen reports of these seed selling for $1 or more each, and though it would perhaps confer some bragging rights to grow these, my habs are fine. At some point, heat becomes subjective. My habanero relishes are killer and addictive, but the initial burn is not the high point - it's the the delayed heat/sweat, almost like a sauna.

Well. I figured I should use the least-risk method for drying my habaneros without getting mold, so I have them in a dehydrator at 115 degrees.

Would you guys agree that this is the best way of drying mold prone peppers?

Math Jeans said:
Well. I figured I should use the least-risk method for drying my habaneros without getting mold, so I have them in a dehydrator at 115 degrees.

I have never used a dehydrator, so I can't tell you. I certainly would slice the peppers into rings to expose the inner surfaces so they would dry as quickly as possible, though.

turbo-1 said:
I have never used a dehydrator, so I can't tell you. I certainly would slice the peppers into rings to expose the inner surfaces so they would dry as quickly as possible, though.

I found instructions on the web. They say to cut them into halves, seed them, and place them in the dehydrator face down. I just did that.

Math Jeans said:

Mold is only a problem in areas with moist climates. If one lives in a place like S. Cal, Arizona or NM, ie. SW US, it shouldn't be a problem. Slice in half, put on a sheet and dry them in the sun (or dehydrator at 115 °F should be fine). Also, one can soak the habaneros in vinger before drying.

One way of prolonging the life of cheese is the soak briefly in vinegar. The acidity keeps the mold from developing.

Tonight we had pork roast, and our home-grown squash and carrots for supper. My brother's sauce went well with the pork (after the fact), and I think next time, we should perhaps use the sauce as a glaze prior to cooking. The sugars should carmelize and seal in the juices, and sweetness is sometimes a good quality in pork dishes.

Well, I finally ground up the dried habaneros today. I was wearing goggles (swim goggles) and covering my nose with a napkin...and here is what happened.

The moment I opened the cofee grinder, the outside of my eyes started burning, and my nose started burning. The other person in the kitchen ran out gasping for air, and I literally had to disinfect the entire kitchen so as to not kill the next person in there.

Anothe problem is that I do not know how I am going to apply the powder without killing everyone else at the dinner table :biggrin:. I will manage though.

I warned you about weaponizing habaneros by grinding them finely.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1479447&postcount=119

At least you took my "goggles" recommendation seriously - eyes are very sensitive. You might try putting your habanero powder in a small lidded container and punch only one or two holes in the lid to start with - like a scaled-back salt shaker. Just invert it over your food and don't shake it vigorously, or your table-mates will get an airborne dose of the dust and find ways to make your life miserable.:eek:

The thing that I am not happy about however, is that I used all of the habaneros off of my plant and only got a tiny bit of powder. It was about 15 habaneros too!

Basically, my plan is that when I start growing other types of peppers, I will make different chili powders. That way I can make my foods spicy in a different way depending on the powder.

P.S. My eyes still hurt.

Math Jeans said:
The thing that I am not happy about however, is that I used all of the habaneros off of my plant and only got a tiny bit of powder. It was about 15 habaneros too!

Basically, my plan is that when I start growing other types of peppers, I will make different chili powders. That way I can make my foods spicy in a different way depending on the powder.

P.S. My eyes still hurt.
Yep! Eyes are that way!

You might want to invest in a nice marble mortar and pestle. They cost about $15-20 bucks, and you can control the fineness of the grind without overheating the spices, peppers, etc that you're grinding. This helps keep the flavor as strong and fresh as possible. I would also suggest not scooping out the placenta and seeds from your peppers, as these are rich sources of heat and flavor.

We have a new experimenter/chili-relish chef. NeoDevin has a good crop of chilies, so I linked him to the relish recipe and am bumping the thread so he can browse it for ideas.

Hot chili relish goes great with oily fish and toast, i am not keen on sardines but with chili relish it is a sort of taste explosion.

My wife and I have been cleaning up our Thanksgiving turkey by making turkey sandwiches on rye bread with Cain's mayonnaise and hot chili relish, served with bowls of turkey soup. Mmmm!

I do like hot sauces with sardines, smoked oysters, smoked clams, cheese, mustard, etc on crackers. Lots of our nieces and nephews loved these snacks with my wife's sweet chili jellies when they were kids, but now they are grown, they seem to gravitate to my hotter chili relishes, and sometimes manage to make off with a jar or two.

wolram said:
Hot chili relish goes great with oily fish and toast, i am not keen on sardines but with chili relish it is a sort of taste explosion.
I'm curious, Woolie. Did you use my (super-simple) relish recipe, or have you used a different one or tweaked mine? I'm pretty happy with my relishes, but I'm certainly open for suggestions.

Thanks Turbo, I'll see if I can find time to make a batch this weekend. I don't have a very large crop (I only have 2 plants, and they got off to a bad start, I didn't repot them to bigger pots soon enough), but hopefully enough to make a small batch and experiment for next years crop.

turbo-1 said:
I'm curious, Woolie. Did you use my (super-simple) relish recipe, or have you used a different one or tweaked mine? I'm pretty happy with my relishes, but I'm certainly open for suggestions.

Yours, but it is so difficult to get the fresh chili peppers, staff at shops look at me gone out when i ask for them.
Do you ever use ginger in relishes?

wolram said:
Yours, but it is so difficult to get the fresh chili peppers, staff at shops look at me gone out when i ask for them. Do you ever use ginger in relishes?
Thanks. I was curious as to whether you had another recipe - I try stuff out (in little batches), but my most simple recipe seems to do the job pretty well.

My wife and I often use fresh ginger-root grated into stir-fries, but I've never used it in relishes or salsas. I usually can large batches of those, and I would be disappointed if the flavor of the ginger overpowered the tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chilies, etc. It may seems funny to talk about ginger overpowering something as hot as habaneros and jalapenos, but those chilies have distinctive flavors in addition to the heat, which is why I like the simple relish recipe so well - it let's the chili flavor come through, with just a bit of salt, sweet, and sour.

Chilies are pretty easy to grow in containers or in a sunny spot in a garden, so you can get your own chilies without having to use a grocer's shop. The peppers in the stores around here are pretty anemic - my home-grown ones are much more potent and flavorful; especially the habaneros! Even when I have run out of relish and am forced to use store-bought chilies, my wife has a hard time finding them in the supermarkets - one produce manager at a local store was stocking them fairly regularly, but if the demand is low, they can sit around a long time losing flavor. When I make relishes, it's always within an hour or two of picking the chilies.

Last edited:
I made a small batch last night. It's pretty spicy. I'm not a big fan of vinegar, so I went easy on the vinegar, but it still has a little taste of it. I was wondering if there was anything I could add/substitute to get rid of the slight vinegarry taste. It's not very strong, but I think it would be better without it. I don't have enough peppers this year to experiment much, especially if I want some left for cooking. Hopefully in the next few years, I'll be able to find a house on an acreage and really start growing some crops.

<h2>1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?</h2><p>The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.</p><h2>2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.</p><h2>3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.</p><h2>4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.</p><h2>5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.</p>

1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?

The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.

2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.

3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.

4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.

5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.