How Can I Solve These Momentum Problems for My Physics Test Tomorrow?

• Thread starter random26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation was about two physics problems that the speaker was struggling with for their upcoming test. The first problem involved finding the average change in momentum after a tennis ball is struck by a racket and rebounded in the opposite direction. The second problem dealt with a bullet hitting a block of wood and determining the velocity and maximum height reached by the bullet/block combination, as well as discussing the conservation of kinetic energy. The conversation also mentioned the importance of considering the direction of velocity in the first problem and the assumption of no gravity in the second problem. The speaker also mentioned using Wikipedia for further information on inelastic collisions.
random26
momentum problems - really urgent:)

Two problems I'm stuck on for a test tomorrow morning...

1) A .6 kg tennis ball initially moving at 12m/s is struck by a tennis racket causing it to rebound in the opposite direction at 18m/s. What is the average change in momentum?
I know p=mv but to get the change in velocity, do you just subtract the 12 from the 18 making the answer p=(.6)(6)?

2) A 15g bullet traveling at 213m/s in a vertical direction buries itself in a 2.4kg block of wood at rest directly above it.
What is the velocity of the bullet/block combination?
What is the maximum height the block reaches?
Is KE conserved? If not, how much is lost?
Would you just solve this by using m1v1 = (m1 + m2)v' and then using v' = sqrt (2gh) to get the max height? I have no idea about the kinetic energy part of the question..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. no, you're on the right track , but look, the 18 m/s is the OPPOSITE direction. that's the key

2. lol does it say how far above the block is (it matters). also lol, its funny that the problem assumes that there isn't any gravity until the bullet hits the block (thats what I understand, I'm not the most brilliant student in English). I can tell you that the kinetic energy isn't conserved. Go to wikipedia and look up "inelastic collision" it has great stuff. so tell my a bit more information so i can help

BTW, "Two problems I'm stuck on for a test tomorrow morning... " why do u know the problems that will be on your test tomorrow?

1. hmm.. I don't really get the 18m/s being in the opposite direction. Does it mean the vi - vf is actually 6+18?

2. I'm pretty sure the problem didn't say how far above the block is but it'll be too late too check. Thanks for your help though :)

I know those problems are on the test tomorrow because it's a 2 day test and we got to begin working on it today. Our physics tests are always crazy long and we have to take some home, and those two I was really stuck on.

1. How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m x v.

2. What is the unit of measurement for momentum?

The unit of measurement for momentum is kg*m/s, which stands for kilograms times meters per second.

3. How does momentum relate to an object's mass and velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to both an object's mass and velocity. This means that as either the mass or velocity increases, the momentum also increases.

4. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its velocity, or when its velocity changes from positive to negative.

5. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.