Tethebal| problem, radial acceleration, angle of ball orbit

In summary, the Homework Statement is a concept/procedure question about a 1 kilogran ball and a meterlong string. When hit by the player, the ball circles the pole at 1.6 Hz. Find the angle the string makes with the pole.
izforgoat

Homework Statement

This is a concept/procedure question. I am playing teth3rbalI with a 1 kilogran ball and it is tied to a meterlong string. When I hit the ball it circles the pole at 1.6 Hz. Find the anglethat the string makes with thepole.

Homework Equations

a[tex]_{r}[/tex]=v[tex]^{2}[/tex]/r
a[tex]_{r}[/tex]=(4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]r)/T[tex]^{2}[/tex]

T=1/f
f[tex]_{r}[/tex]=ma[tex]_{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the period for one cycle but that's basically it and I'm stuck without a radius or at least a velocity to go by. What am I overlooking?

Attachments

• yadacopy.jpg
    yadacopy.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
The whirling string has to make an angle, say 'x', with the vertical in the downward direction. It lies on a cone, whose semi-vertical angle is 'x'. If 'T' is the tension in the string, then mg=T*cos(x). The centipetal force is T*sin(x). The mass m travels in a horizontal plane.

Now you try for a while.

hmmm

k so wow, i' not getting very far at all on this.

since Tcos(x) = mg then Tcos(x) = 9.8 N and since T sin(x) = centripedalforce then Tsin= 1kg((4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]r)/(.625[tex]^{2}[/tex]))

I'm slightly nervous proceeding since my next move would be to do a pythagoras of 9.8[tex]^{2}[/tex] + ((4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]r)/TimePeriod[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex] = T[tex]^{2}[/tex] which doesn't seem right nor does it make me any more confident.

Last edited:
kk think i got it but does the mass cancel out?

It'd be neater if you didn't write the values of g etc in every step. Use symbols and plug in the values later.

Yes, the mass cancels out.

The centripetal force is m*w^2*r= T*sin x.

tan x = Tsin x/Tcos x = mw^2*r/mg =rw^2/g.

You know the value of r, and w is given.

izforgoat said:
kk think i got it but does the mass cancel out?

If you look at Shooting Star's post this should become apparent.

It would also help if you formatted your posts in a more readable way. For example [ tex] [ /tex] tags should be used for LaTeX set on its own, whereas you should use [ itex] [ /itex] tags for inline maths. Furthermore, it would help if you either did all your equations in tex, or none of them, since that would prevent strange mixed formatting.

Just a few thoughts, anyway.

1. What is the "Tethebal" problem?

The "Tethebal" problem is a hypothetical situation in which a ball is attached to a string and swung around in a circular motion. The problem arises when trying to determine the tension in the string at different points in the ball's orbit.

2. What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is dependent on the speed and radius of the object's motion.

3. How is the angle of the ball's orbit related to its speed?

The angle of the ball's orbit is directly related to its speed. As the speed of the ball increases, the angle of its orbit becomes smaller. This is because the ball has to travel a shorter distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a smaller angle.

4. How does the angle of the ball's orbit affect the tension in the string?

The angle of the ball's orbit does not directly affect the tension in the string. However, a change in the angle can result in a change in the speed of the ball, which in turn can affect the tension in the string. A smaller angle may result in a higher speed and therefore a higher tension in the string.

5. Is the "Tethebal" problem relevant in real-world situations?

The "Tethebal" problem is a simplified scenario used in physics to understand concepts such as circular motion and tension. While it may not have direct real-world applications, the principles and equations involved can be applied to more complex situations involving circular motion and forces acting on objects connected by strings.