Solving for Lagrangian Forces in Newton's Bucket Problem

• Thread starter int.uition
  • Start date
In summary, the water in a spinning bucket arrange itself according to the following equations: position: a velocity: a. acceleration: a..
int.uition
How does the water in a spinning bucket arrange itself, given that its surface must be perpendicular to the force that holds the water? Solve for the Lagrangian forces of constraint.

As a convention, I'm writing position, velocity, and acceleration as such:
position: a velocity: a. acceleration: a..

So here's what I've got so far. We know that the lagrangian is:

L = T - U

I chose cylindrical coordinates, so I got (a is the angle):
T = (1/2) * m * r. + (1/2) * m^2 * a^2 + (1/2) * m * z.^2
U = mgz
Constraint1: m = (pi) * r^2 * h * density

dL/dr = 0, dL/dr. = 0, D/DT * dL/dr. = 0
dL/da = 0, dL/a. = m^2 * a. D/DT * dL/a. = m^2 * a..
dL/dz = mg, dL/z. = m * z. D/DT * dL/z. = m * z..

So for my first equation of motion, solving for motion in the a direction:
0 = -m^2 * a..

Which isn't exactly allowing me to solve for much of anything... where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know what type of answer the question is asking for, but here is my attempt on a solution that gives the height y at distance x from the buckets edge along the radius. Not sure if its entirely correct tho.

w=anglespeed(?)
R=radius
a=centripetal acceleration=v^2/(R-x)=W^2*(R-x)
the rake angle b of the water is given by tan b=a/g=(W^2/g)(R-x)
if h is the distance along the y-axis upwards down, for small dx, dh=(W^2/g)(R-x)dx
Integration gives that y=H-(W^2/g)(Rx-(x^2)/2)
where H is the height if the water at the edge of the bucket, ie the maximum height. Its also possible to calculate H in terms of the height of the water in rest, by integrating again and use that the total volyme of the water is constant, but this is sufficient if you only want the shape of the surface.

Last edited:
I am working on this problem as well, as part of my physics class this semester.
I haven't finished it, but I have most of the problem completed. I noticed some mistakes in your work.

First, for finding the langrangian forces of constraint, you want to apply your constraint as late as possible. Also, the equation you'll use to find the forces of constraint is as follows:
dL/dq - D/Dt*dL/dq. + lambda * dQ/dq = 0,
where lambda * dQ/dq = Fq, the force in the q direction. q represents a generalize coordinate.

Your equation for the kinetic energy in cylindrical coordinates is wrong, it is as follows:
T = (1/2) * m * r.^2 + (1/2) * m * (r*a.)^2 + (1/2) * M * z.^2
and U = m * g * z

So then we have
L = T - U = (1/2) * m * r.^2 + (1/2) * m * (r*a.)^2 + (1/2) * M * z.^2 - m * g * z

dL/dr = m * r * a.^2; dL/dr. = m * r.; D/Dt * dL/dr. = m * r..
dL/dr - D/Dt * dL/dr. + lambda * dQ/dr = (m * r * a.^2) - (m * r..) + lambda * dQ/dr = 0

dL/da = 0; dL/da. = m * r^2 * a.; D/Dt*dL/da. = m * (r^2 * a.. + 2 * a. * r.)
dL/da - D/Dt * dL/da. + lambda * dQ/da = -m * (r^2 * a.. + 2 * a. * r.) + lambda * dQ/da = 0

dL/dz = -m * g; dL/dz. = m * z.; D/Dt * dL/dz. = m * z..
dl/dz - D/Dt * dL/dz. + lambda * dQ/dz = -m * g - m* z.. + lambda * dQ/dz = 0

lambda * dQ/dq = Fq, so we solve for the force in each direction:

Fr = m * r.. - m * r * a.^2
Fa = m * (r^2 * a.. + 2 * a. * r.)
Fz = m * z.. + m * g

This is where I am in the problem. These forces are the lagrangian forces of constraint - at this point, you need to factor in the spinning, and then somehow use that to find the shape of the water. I'm basically stuck, at this point.

1. What is Newton's bucket problem?

Newton's bucket problem is a thought experiment proposed by Sir Isaac Newton to illustrate the concept of absolute rotation. It involves a bucket filled with water suspended by a rope and then set into rotation. The question is whether the water will remain stationary or if it will rotate with the bucket.

2. What does the experiment demonstrate?

The experiment demonstrates that there is no absolute rotation. In other words, there is no fixed and universal reference point for rotation. Instead, rotation is relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. How did Newton explain the behavior of the water in the bucket?

Newton explained the behavior of the water by stating that the water is acted upon by two opposing forces: the centrifugal force pushing the water outwards and the tension in the rope pulling the water inwards. These forces cancel each other out, resulting in the water remaining stationary.

4. What is the significance of Newton's bucket problem?

Newton's bucket problem is significant because it challenges the commonly held belief at the time that there was an absolute space in which all objects could be measured and compared. It also laid the foundation for the concept of relative motion, which is a fundamental principle in modern physics.

5. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to Newton's bucket problem?

Einstein's theory of relativity builds upon Newton's bucket problem by providing a more comprehensive understanding of the concept of relativity. It explains that not only is there no absolute rotation, but there is also no absolute rest or motion. This theory revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity.