Solving PDE Homework Statement - Can You Help?

• Thread starter jahandideh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation is about solving a PDE using Fourier series. The problem involves a heat equation that is one dimensional and time-dependent. The solution involves finding the Fourier coefficients for the given equation. The final solution for the problem is T(x,t)= j^{2} \sum (\frac{1}{\lambda_{n}^{2}}) \times \frac{b}{cL}+ \frac {2 \times -1^{n+1}}{\lambda_{n} cos(\lambda_{n}x + j^{2} \sum \frac{-1}{(\lambda_{n})^{2}}(e)^{-\lambda_{n}t} \left[\frac{b}{cL
jahandideh

Homework Statement

oh! after trying to re-solve a PDE I reached this:

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum\frac{4}{((2n-1)\pi)^2} (a+\frac{4(-1)^{n+1}}{(2n-1)\pi}) cos(\frac{2n-1}{2}\pi x) [/tex]

n goes feom 1 to [tex]\infty[/tex] and "a" is a constant value.

The Attempt at a Solution

the solution i am trying to reach is:

[tex]=\frac{1}{2} (1-x^{2}+(1-x)a)[/tex]

but i don't know how?
can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the Fourier series for [tex]\frac{1}{2} (1-x^{2}+(1-x)a)[/tex]?

thanx for suggestion my buddy.
u know the orginal problem is a heat equation - one dimensional and time dependent-

[tex]T_{xx}+j^{2}=T_{t}[/tex]
[tex]T_{t}=-1/2j\frac{b}{cL}[/tex]
[tex]T(1,t)=0[/tex]
[tex]T(x,0)=0[/tex]

j,c,b are constant and 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1

i solved the problem to here:

[tex] T(x,t)= j^{2} \sum (\frac{1}{\lambda_{n}^{2}}) \times \frac{b}{cL}+ \frac {2 \times -1^{n+1}}{\lambda_{n} cos(\lambda_{n}x + j^{2} \sum \frac{-1}{(\lambda_{n})^{2}}(e)^{-\lambda_{n}t} \left[\frac{b}{cL}+ \frac {2\times -1^{n+1}}{\lambda_{n}\right] cos(\lambda_{n}x)[/tex]

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena, such as heat transfer or fluid flow.

2. How do I solve a PDE?

The approach to solving a PDE depends on its type and complexity. Some common methods include separation of variables, using Fourier series, or transforming the PDE into an ODE. It is important to understand the problem and choose an appropriate method for solving it.

3. Can you explain the boundary conditions for a PDE?

Boundary conditions are conditions that must be satisfied at the boundaries of the domain in which the PDE is being solved. They can be specified as either Dirichlet (prescribing the value of the solution at the boundary) or Neumann (prescribing the derivative of the solution at the boundary).

4. How do I know if my solution to a PDE is correct?

If you are solving a PDE analytically, you can check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. If you are using numerical methods, you can compare your solution to a known exact solution, if available, or perform convergence tests to ensure the accuracy of your solution.

5. What are some common applications of solving PDEs?

PDEs are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. Some common applications include modeling heat transfer, fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and option pricing in finance. PDEs are also used in image and signal processing, as well as in machine learning and data analysis.