Solving for Volume in a Complex Figure: Ostrogradsky and Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a figure bounded by a surface equation using Ostrogradsky and spherical coordinates. The speaker is seeking help and is given a hint to use cylindrical symmetry to find the solution.
DianaSagita
Volume Integral! Help!

I need help with this:

Find volume of figure bounded with surface (x^2+y^2+z^2+1)^2=8*(x^2+y^2)

I tried Ostrogradsky, and spherical coordinate system with it, but I can't find boundaries...

PLEASE! HELP ME!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us what you tried, then we'll help you. That's the policy here.

Welcome to PF!

DianaSagita said:
I need help with this:

Find volume of figure bounded with surface (x^2+y^2+z^2+1)^2=8*(x^2+y^2)

I tried Ostrogradsky, and spherical coordinate system with it, but I can't find boundaries...

PLEASE! HELP ME!

Hi DianaSagita ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(what's Ostrogradsky? :confused: )

(oh, have a squared: ²)

Hint: it's obviously cylindrically symmetric, so write x² + y² = r², to give:

(r² + z² + 1)² - 8r² = 0. :smile:

Thanks a lot. I did it! :)

What is a volume integral?

A volume integral, also known as a triple integral, is a mathematical tool used in the field of calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, and is typically represented by three nested integrals.

What is the difference between a volume integral and a surface integral?

A volume integral is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object, while a surface integral is used to calculate the area of a two-dimensional surface. Volume integrals involve integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, while surface integrals involve integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface.

Why are volume integrals important in science?

Volume integrals are important in science because they allow us to calculate the volume of complex three-dimensional objects, which is often necessary in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. They also have applications in calculating physical quantities such as mass and density.

What are some real-world applications of volume integrals?

Volume integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of a solid object, determining the mass of an irregularly shaped object, and calculating the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe. They are also used in fields such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

What are some tips for solving volume integrals?

Some tips for solving volume integrals include setting up the integral in the correct order (typically from the inside out), choosing the correct limits of integration, and simplifying the integrand as much as possible. It is also helpful to visualize the object being integrated in order to better understand the bounds of the integral.