Solving cos x + root (1-0.5sin2x) = 0: Check for Spurious Answers

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
In summary, spurious solutions are extraneous solutions that are introduced when squaring both sides of an equation, resulting in the equation no longer being equivalent to the original. To check for spurious solutions, one must try the solutions in the original equation to see which ones work.
nokia8650
"Spurious solutions"

The question involves finding the solution to:

cos x + root (1-0.5sin2x) = 0

I can get the answer; first by taking one term to the other side, squaring, and then factorising.

My answers are:

However, the markscheme requir "Checking for spurious answers due to squaring"

Which results in the answers being 180 and 225. Can someone please explain what is meant by this and why, and how one would "check"?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When you squared both sides of the equation in order to complete the separation of x, this had the effect of eliminating the relevance of the sign of x. (In a sense, you are no longer solving your original equation.) When you have to do something like this, you need to try your solutions in the original equation to see which ones solve it, rather than your "constructed" equation.

Here's a simple example:

Solve x^2 = x , for real x.

Square both sides:

x^4 = x^2 ,

so (x^2) · [ (x^2) - 1 ] = 0 .

Thus, either x^2 = 0 , giving x = 0 , or

x^2 = 1 , giving x = +/-1 .

Plainly, x = 0 and x = 1 work in the original equation,
but x = -1 does not. This third result solves the "constructed" equation
x^4 = x^2 , but that is not strictly equivalent to the original equation x^2 = x (in fact, we are now really solving for x^2).
So we say that x = -1 is a "spurious solution".

(Of course, had you simply proceeded from (x^2) - x = x·(x - 1) = 0 , you would not have run into this. But this example simply demonstrates the issue -- and was what I came up with off the top of my head. In many situations, you have no option but to square both sides, introducing the difficulty I describe.)

Last edited:
ahh yes, thank you!

Hey,

dynamicsolo said:
When you squared both sides of the equation in order to complete the separation of x, this had the effect of eliminating the relevance of the sign of x. (In a sense, you are no longer solving your original equation.) When you have to do something like this, you need to try your solutions in the original equation to see which ones solve it, rather than your "constructed" equation.

Here's a simple example:

Solve x^2 = x , for real x.

Square both sides:

x^4 = x^2 ,

so (x^2) · [ (x^2) - 1 ] = 0 .

Thus, either x^2 = 0 , giving x = 0 , or

x^2 = 1 , giving x = +/-1 .

Plainly, x = 0 and x = 1 work in the original equation,
but x = -1 does not. This third result solves the "constructed" equation
x^4 = x^2 , but that is not strictly equivalent to the original equation x^2 = x (in fact, we are now really solving for x^2).
So we say that x = -1 is a "spurious solution".

(Of course, had you simply proceeded from (x^2) - x = x·(x - 1) = 0 , you would not have run into this. But this example simply demonstrates the issue -- and was what I came up with off the top of my head. In many situations, you have no option but to square both sides, introducing the difficulty I describe.)

While I knew this before, I found your explanation very clear and refreshing. Thanks for the post dynamicsolo.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

1. What is the equation "cos x + root (1-0.5sin2x) = 0" used for?

The equation "cos x + root (1-0.5sin2x) = 0" is used to solve for the values of x that make the equation true. It is commonly used in trigonometry and calculus.

2. How do you solve this equation for x?

To solve the equation "cos x + root (1-0.5sin2x) = 0" for x, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to isolate x on one side of the equation. You may also need to use a graphing calculator or computer software to find the numerical solutions.

3. What is the process for checking for spurious solutions?

To check for spurious solutions in an equation such as "cos x + root (1-0.5sin2x) = 0", you must substitute the solutions you found back into the original equation. If the substituted value makes the equation false, then it is a spurious solution and should be discarded.

4. Why is it important to check for spurious solutions?

It is important to check for spurious solutions because they are solutions that make the equation false, even though they may appear to be valid solutions at first glance. These solutions can lead to incorrect conclusions and must be eliminated to find the true solutions of the equation.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for solving this type of equation?

One tip for solving equations like "cos x + root (1-0.5sin2x) = 0" is to use trigonometric identities and substitution to simplify the equation before attempting to solve it. This can make the process easier and reduce the chances of making a mistake. It is also helpful to double-check your solutions by substituting them back into the original equation to ensure they are valid.