Convergent Sequences on l infinity

In summary: Well, let's say that {x_n} converges to x if there exists a sequence {x_0} such that for all n>=0, x_n=x_0+a for some a in [0,1].Now, let's say that {x_n} converges to x if there exists a sequence {x_0} such that for all n>=0, x_n=x_0+a for all a>0.Now, let's say that {x_n} converges to x if there exists a sequence {x_0} such that for all n>=0, x_n=x_0+a for all a>0,
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Define [itex] R^\infty_f = \{ (t^{(1}),t^{(2}), \ldots, ) |\; t^{(i}) \in \mathbb{R}\; \forall i, \; \exists k_0 \text{ such that } t^{(k})=0 \; \forall k\geq k_0 \} [/itex]

Define [itex] l^\infty = \{ (t^{(1}),t^{(2}), \ldots, ) |\; t^{(i}) \in \mathbb{R}\; \forall i, \; \sup_{k\geq 1} | t^{(k})| < \infty \} [/itex]

Observe that [itex] R^\infty_f [/itex] is a linear subspace of [itex] l^\infty[/itex]. Show that [itex] R^\infty_f [/itex] is not closed in [itex] l^\infty[/itex], then show that the closure of [itex] R^\infty_f [/itex] is the space [itex] c_0 [/itex];

Homework Equations

The space c_0 is the set of all sequences converging to zero

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not too hard to show that this set is not closed. It suffices to show that there is a convergent sequence in [itex] l^\infty[/itex] such that every term is in [itex] R^\infty_f [/itex], but whose limit is not in [itex] R^\infty_f [/itex]. I constructed the following sequence

[itex] x_1 = (1, 0, \ldots, ) [/itex]
[itex] x_2 = (1, \frac{1}{2}, 0 , \ldots, ) [/itex]
[itex] \vdots [/itex]
[itex] x_n = (1, \ldots, \frac{1}{n}, 0, \ldots} ) [/itex]

which converges to the point [itex] a = (1, \frac{1}{2}, \ldots, \frac{1}{n-1}, \frac{1}{n}, \frac{1}{n+1}, \ldots ) [/itex]

It's the closure part that I'm worried about. I'm not terribly sure how I would go about showing that...

Physics news on Phys.org
It will suffice to show that every sequence in c_0 is a limit of sequences in R_f. Do you agree?

Yes, since every point in c_0 will necessarily be the limit of some sequence in R_f. Though I think that this only shows that c_0 is a subset of the closure - not necessarily the whole closure.

Yes, but on the other hand, R_f clearly sits in c_0 (and c_0 is closed!).

True enough.

So I need to show that every sequence in c_0 is a limit of sequences in R_f.

How do I show that every sequence that converges to zero is the limit of a sequence. Indeed, what does it mean for a sequence to be a limit of another sequence?

Think of this as a problem set in an abstract normed space. What does it mean for a sequence {x_n} to converge to x?

1. What is a convergent sequence on linfinity?

A convergent sequence on linfinity is a sequence of numbers that approaches a limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is a type of sequence that is commonly studied in mathematical analysis and is often used to describe the behavior of functions.

2. How is convergence on linfinity different from other types of convergence?

Convergence on linfinity is different from other types of convergence, such as pointwise or uniform convergence, because it is based on the supremum norm. This means that the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit must become arbitrarily small, rather than just approaching a specific value.

3. What is the supremum norm in linfinity?

The supremum norm, also known as the infinity norm, is a way of measuring the distance between two points in a vector space. In linfinity, the supremum norm is defined as the maximum absolute value of the terms in the sequence.

4. How is convergence on linfinity used in real-world applications?

Convergence on linfinity is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as signal processing, control theory, and optimization. It is also commonly used in data analysis and machine learning to measure the similarity between sequences or to estimate the performance of algorithms.

5. What are some properties of convergent sequences on linfinity?

One of the main properties of convergent sequences on linfinity is that they are bounded, meaning that the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit is always finite. They also satisfy the triangle inequality, meaning that the distance between two terms in the sequence is always less than or equal to the sum of their distances from the limit.